Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fusion power, economics

1. Jun 24, 2016 #61

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The European one works nicely, blackouts are rare and usually limited to local regions for local reasons (e. g. ice or heavy snow taking down the power lines going to some town). And one counterexample is sufficient to refute the claim that "Large, continental power grids are far too complex and vulnerable".

The largest blackout happened in 2003, affecting 56 million people - for three hours in the middle of the night. Uhh, scary. A small fraction of the population got power a bit later than the others.
    The second largest blackout happened in 2006, with 15 millions without electricity for 2 hours.

Going by Wikipedia articles, London 2003 is the last European one that has its own article - 500,000 people for 30 minutes to 2 hours.

The longest blackout I personally experienced in my life was about 5 minutes long.

2. Jun 24, 2016 #62
    For what it is worth I heard In a news report some time ago that the US power grid is very vulnerable to severe Sunspot activity and in particular the present type of transformers that are used. Apparently there are new types that would withstand such an event. The problem being that there would not be enough spares on hand to replace the damaged one and the lead time for the manufacture of replacement transformers is 6 months. It is just another example of a neglected infrastructure issue. IMO the maintenance of the power grid is akin the the repair of highways be filling the pot holes.

3. Jun 24, 2016 #63
    Periodic blackout in the US are quite common due to storms, but these are typically localized affecting only a part of a state or two but sometimes will last many days. I expect several power outages in my are of Maryland several times a year lasting up to about 12 hrs. but usually only a few hours.

However the power grid in the northeast has been compromised significantly twice in the last 50 years.

In 1965 much of the northeast of the US and parts of Canada lost power for over 12 hrs due to a maintenance error. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_1965

In 1977 New York City lightning took down the cities grid for almost 24 hrs, before totally restored.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_blackout_of_1977. During this time there was significant civil disobedience.

In 2003 a computer "bug" took down the grid of the northeast of the US and Canada affecting 10's milliions of persons .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 with some remote areas being 2 weeks without power

The European power grid is newer than much of the US because it has been rebuilt since WWII.

4. Jun 24, 2016 #64

mheslep

Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. Jun 24, 2016 #65

mheslep

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted