Fusion reactor goes off?

• Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
With any realistic fusion reactor designs, can you imagine a Chernobyl like situation, where they cant stop a critical reaction? Or no, since no unstable isotopes, reaction can be stopped anytime, the worst thing can happen is no power?

.Scott

Homework Helper
With the current (and only) fusion reactor we are using for power, large amounts of H and He were assembled to a critical mass - with no hope of shutting the thing down in the near future.
I am referring to our Sun.

But short of creating a star, fusion requires a lot of stuff to go right - and anything that goes wrong would stop it.
This doesn't mean that there would be no hazards. There can be hazardous materials involved and lots of waste heat and electric power - but nothing unique to Fusion that I can thing of.

If the plasma containment failed nuclear reactions would halt instantly .
There could be blast and heat damage in the immediate vacinity of the failed reactor but not a nuclear explosion as such and very little residual radioactive contamination other than perhaps in debris of the reactor walls,

And what if fusion is ignited by fission, a controlled chain reaction? (not a nuke) Doesnt it sound to be realistic possibility?

And what if fusion is ignited by fission, a controlled chain reaction? (not a nuke) Doesnt it sound to be realistic possibility?
No because a fusion reactor does not require any fissionable heavy elements in order to work.

If the plasma containment failed nuclear reactions would halt instantly .
There could be blast and heat damage in the immediate vacinity of the failed reactor but not a nuclear explosion as such and very little residual radioactive contamination other than perhaps in debris of the reactor walls,
The reactor itself is more than sufficient to contain the energy of the plasma. ITER will store a few hundred MJ in its plasma, or the planned fusion power of about a second. A power plant would store a bit more energy, but we are still taking about seconds, much shorter than the timescale of the cooling system. In the worst case you damage the surface of the reactor walls.
And what if fusion is ignited by fission, a controlled chain reaction? (not a nuke)
Please provide a reference for such a proposed scheme. I don't see how that would work. The opposite has been proposed, neutrons from fusion driving a subcritical nuclear reactor. In this case you would have some residual heat from radioactive fission products.

The reactor itself is more than sufficient to contain the energy of the plasma. ITER will store a few hundred MJ in its plasma, or the planned fusion power of about a second. A power plant would store a bit more energy, but we are still taking about seconds, much shorter than the timescale of the cooling system. In the worst case you damage the surface of the reactor walls.Please provide a reference for such a proposed scheme. I don't see how that would work. The opposite has been proposed, neutrons from fusion driving a subcritical nuclear reactor. In this case you would have some residual heat from radioactive fission products.
Most articles i could found proposes what you say, use fusion for fission, and not the opposite.
I just wondered if a hydrogen bomb uses fission to ignite fusion, isnt there any reasonable plan to do it in a controlled way.

Well i found that one.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0375960104018043

A hydrogen bomb does use one or more fission explosions as detonators to start the hydrogen fusion.
However this is far from being uncontrolled, the fission explosions have to be exactly right, and if not then the fusion reaction doesn't happen