Fusion related problem (help please, chem final is tomorrow)

In summary, to determine the final temperature of the water after adding 9.250 kJ of heat to 20.0 g of ice at 0.0 degrees Celcius, first calculate the amount of heat required to melt the ice (6700J) and subtract it from the total heat added (9250J). Then, use the specific heat capacity of water (4.2 J g^-1 degreeC^-1) to calculate the increase in temperature of the remaining water (2550J). The final temperature of the water is 30.6 degrees Celcius.
mathzeroh
ok my final exam for chem is tomorrow and i need help badly on this practice problem! here it is:

3. When 9.250 kJ of heat is added to 20.0 g of ice at 0.0 degrees Celcius, what is the final temperature of the water? The heat of fusion for water is 335 J/g.

I don't know how on Earth to connect the fact that i was given the "fusion" (fusion - huh?) of water with the other stuff. I know that q=(c)(m)(delta T) but how do i connect all this together?

this is what i did (and failed misrebaly):

q=(c)(m)(delta T); m=20.0 g; T initial=0.0 degrees Celcius; q=9.250 kJ (which is 9250 J if i wanted to work with the same units)

so:

9250 J=[4.184J/(g*degree Celcius)](20.0 g)(T final - 0.0 deg. Celcius)
9250 J=(83.68)(T final)
111 deg. Celcius=T final

WRONG!

HELP PLEASE! :cry: :uhh: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat of fusion, often called "latent heat of fusion" is the amount of heat needed to melt ice without changing its temperature, or the amount of heat you need to remove from water at freezing temperature to change it ("fuse" it) into ice.

OlderDan said:
Heat of fusion, often called "latent heat of fusion" is the amount of heat needed to melt ice without changing its temperature, or the amount of heat you need to remove from water at freezing temperature to change it ("fuse" it) into ice.

Oh, hey thanks a lot.

But how do I relate that bit of information to the problem?

where is everybody?

mathzeroh said:
Oh, hey thanks a lot.

But how do I relate that bit of information to the problem?

You figure out how much heat is needed just to melt the ice you started with before you calculate the temperature change of the water resulting from the rest of the heat added.

1. Determine how much of the heat is required to melt the ice- that is the heat of fusion times the mass of the ice.
2. Subtract that from the original 9.25 J to see how much heat is left to raise the temperature of the water.
3. Calculate how many degrees that much heat will raise the water- that is the number of degrees one J of heat will raise 1 g of water times the number of J left times the mass of water.

ans

3. When 9.250 kJ of heat is added to 20.0 g of ice at 0.0 degrees Celcius, what is the final temperature of the water? The heat of fusion for water is 335 J/g.

9.250kJ = 9250J
energy required to melt ice = 335 * 20 = 6700J
energy left after ice has melted = 9250 - 6700 = 2550J

taking specific heat capacity of water to be 4.2 J g^-1 degreeC^-1

therefore heat capacity for 20g of water is 84 J C^-1

increase in temperature = 2550 / 84 = 30.6 degree C

therefore final temperature = 0.0(initial temp) + 30.6 = 30.6 degree C

1. What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. It is important because it is the process that powers the sun and other stars, and has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy on Earth.

2. What are some challenges associated with achieving fusion reactions?

Some of the main challenges include creating and containing the extreme temperatures and pressures required for fusion to occur, finding materials that can withstand these conditions, and effectively harnessing the energy produced without losing more energy than is gained.

3. What are some current methods being used to achieve fusion reactions?

The most well-known method is magnetic confinement, which uses strong magnetic fields to contain and heat the plasma. Inertial confinement, which uses high-powered lasers, is also being studied. Additionally, research is being done on alternative methods such as fusion in a solid state and using different fuel sources.

4. What are some potential benefits of successful fusion reactions?

If we can achieve controlled and sustained fusion reactions, it could provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy that does not produce greenhouse gases or long-lived radioactive waste. It could also reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and provide a more stable and secure energy supply.

5. What is being done to address safety concerns related to fusion reactions?

Extensive research is being done to understand and mitigate potential safety concerns, such as the release of radioactive materials and disruptions in the fusion reaction. Additionally, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place for any experiments or facilities involving fusion reactions.