Should I Still Apply to Cambridge with My Current Grades and Health Challenges?

In summary, Ryker is from Canada and is a first-year IB student. He is currently in his second semester and is predicted to score above 90 on his exams with the exception of French and English. He is also currently taking the same courses as listed in his original post. Ryker's academic advisor has allowed him to take off some of his courses this semester due to his mental health problems and he will be able to retake them in the summer. Although being an international student does not guarantee acceptance, it does increase your chances. Lastly, if something happens like Ryker blacking out during a math exam, he recommends contacting the admissions office by phone.
photon1
Hi,

I'm from Canada and I'll be applying next year to Cambridge. Long story short, I'm a first year IB students and so far my first semester is predicted to look like this:

French HL: 70 +
English HL: 80 +
Physics HL: 80+
Biology HL: 80+
Math HL: 90+
Chemistry HL: 70+

I haven't had such a great run (academically speaking) this term mostly because of several "out-of-school" related stuff. I was diagnosed with depression and other mental health problems and this hasn't made easy for me to perform well, notably in Chemistry and Physics!

I am getting better and as my first semester is almost coming to an end, I am looking forward to perform well for the finals.

My 2nd semester starts from January and I obviously look forward to score exceedingly greater than what I was able to do so far. The following is an outline of what courses I'll be taking next:

French HL
English HL
Physics HL
Math HL
Chemistry HL
"Défis scientifiques du 21e siècle"

I expect to score above 90 with the exception of French and English. My teachers are well aware of my issues and they understand that it has been detrimental to my studying. They will take this into consideration for my grade predictions.

So, should I still bother applying to Cambridge?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment on your chances of getting into Cambridge, but if I were you, I would bother applying. The fee to apply is namely practically negligible, as you apply online through UCAS. If I remember correctly, it's around £20, and the application process itself is more straight-forward and less of a hassle than, say, the Canadian one. Now I don't know what they do with international applicants as far as interviews and additional testing are concerned, so that may be a bit of hassle you're not used to, but if you get that far, then I think it's something worth going through and you won't really feel like you're just doing paperwork for, ultimately, nothing. So yeah, apply, but be wary that unlike for other UK universities, the application deadline is in October or November I think, so make sure you don't miss it.

I'm definitely considering applying no matter what, Ryker. What I am truly wondering is if they do consider particular situations which may have affected a student's grade (in my case, my first term). Also, my predictions will take into account my relatively "bad" start; therefore, I'm pretty confident I'll end up with a predicted 40+/45 with 7,7,7 (math,phys,chem) HL.

Should I consider the "Cambridge Special Access Scheme"? Or is that specifically for UK-studentst only?

:S

OK. There's been a few changes recently and my academic advisor has exceptionally allowed me to take off Chemistry and Physics from my first semester (to lower the workload). This is due to my medical circumstances (mental health) and I will able to retake these courses in summer. Nothing changes for the second semester, though. Same courses as listed above (in my original post).

Do universities (and Cambridge in particular) consider such cases?

Well, I just graduated from IB myself, but in Sweden, and have applied once through UCAS, so I might be able to help. I myself got a blackout during the Math HL exams, but got a total of 39 points at least. Either way, to me it seems like you really have no much to worry about, your grades seems fine mate, just keep up the good work. I can say that most people fail their first semester, as far as I know, because one is not really used to the type of exams, I myself did and I got three 7s and two 6s, and well, a 4 in Math HL. My point is, just keep working.

As for Cambridge, to my experience they put more weight on how you are as an individual, I have seen people with 45 point, really bright people, get rejected, because of their personal statement weren't too good. Of course you do have to have rather good grades, but 45 is deffo not a requirement. If you write an awesome personal statement and have a great reference, you got a shot.

If something happens, like blacking out like I did, I recommend contacting the admissions office by phone. But before you do this, write down a list of things you want to say.

Kind of everyone who applies to Cambridge have good grades, you need to stick out, and you do that with your personal statement, I cannot stress that enough.

Oh wait, just remembered one thing, you are an international student, which means you pay the full fee, which means you are quite likely to get accepted, at least to my knowledge. So please go ahead and apply, the deadline is October 15. Note, being an international student doesn't guarantee you a place, so you still need that personal statement.

//Noblee

and if someone has better info, please correct me

Ryker said:
The fee to apply is namely practically negligible, as you apply online through UCAS.

The last time I checked you also need to apply directly to the university college, just in case you didn't know.

There is no harm in applying. Of course, you shouldn't put too much hope into an application like this - getting into Cambridge and universities like it is no small task for *anyone*. You have the best people from all over the world applying - so my point is don't be disheartened if you don't get in. One thing that undergraduate applicants undervalue is how they feel about the university they're applying to. Sure, Cambridge is a great institution - but teaching scores and reputation isn't the only thing that will add up to make you a successful student.

When you're selecting universities to apply to, bear in mind that the best one for you isn't necessarily the highest 'scored'. You are a person, and have your own personal needs - things like family, activities, the general feel of the town. Remember to gauge with prospective institutions how you feel about the locale.

fasterthanjoao said:
The last time I checked you also need to apply directly to the university college, just in case you didn't know.
Ah, sorry then, I wasn't aware of that. I decided to apply for Physics too late anyway, so I just saw that I missed the deadline for Oxbridge, and figured it's the exact same process as with the other universities, as well.

What are the requirements for becoming a future applicant?

The requirements for becoming a future applicant may vary depending on the specific field or program you are interested in. Generally, you will need to have a strong academic background, relevant work or research experience, and meet any specific criteria set by the institution or program you are applying to.

What steps should I take to prepare for the application process?

To prepare for the application process, it is important to conduct thorough research on the institution or program you are applying to. This includes understanding their admissions criteria, deadlines, and any specific requirements or materials that need to be submitted. It is also beneficial to seek advice from current students or alumni and to start preparing materials such as personal statements or resumes well in advance.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when applying?

Some common mistakes to avoid when applying include not thoroughly reading and following the application instructions, submitting incomplete or inaccurate information, and not allowing enough time for the application process. It is also important to avoid plagiarism and to present yourself in a professional and authentic manner.

How can I increase my chances of being accepted?

To increase your chances of being accepted, it is important to present yourself as a well-rounded candidate with a strong academic background, relevant experience, and a genuine interest in the field or program. You should also make sure to thoroughly review and proofread all application materials and to follow all instructions carefully.

What resources are available to help me with the application process?

There are many resources available to help with the application process, including guidance from academic advisors, career counselors, and online resources from the institution or program. You can also seek advice from current students or alumni, attend information sessions or open houses, and reach out to admissions representatives for any specific questions or concerns.