Can a civilization truly last forever?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: Most of the civilizations that has ever existed has died out, replaced or annihilated. It is irrational to think that this will not happen to ours as well.
hammertime
Hey, sorry I've been asking these hypothetical questions about future advanced civilizations, but I have another question. It's a bit nebulous, and I apologize for that.

Can a civilization last forever? And I mean truly forever.
Or would something happen, sooner or later, to wipe it out (i.e. running out of resources, cataclysmic war, black hole, etc)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the civilizations that has ever existed has died out, replaced or annihilated. It is irrational to think that this will not happen to ours as well.

I'll wager on some of, or a combination of, the following:

Asteroid
Religious War
Nuclear War

hammertime said:
Given your "truly forever" criteria, if civilization implies order and if universal entropy must continue to increase without bounds then I suppose not.

I agree with OOW. The Universe can't last forever, so how can anything in it?

Danger said:
I agree with OOW. The Universe can't last forever, so how can anything in it?
Who says a civilization isn't advanced enough to move to a different universe?

Probably not... Something always happens in the end...
An insane chimp they have would, one day, find a way to attain vengeance by eliminating them all.

Neglecting the age of the universe question, I still believe the answer is no.
"Living" things, civilizations included, seem to display a growth and death pattern.
At one point or another all civilizations seem to stagnate.
Of course no one can give you a guarantee one way or another.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
Who says a civilization isn't advanced enough to move to a different universe?

That's a theory that I'd like to believe in, but I can't. It's a matter of: show me.
On the other hand, I'm quite comfortable with the fact that I've died billions upon billions of times and am still here. Quantum branching means that I'm essentially immortal due to the fact that the 'me' that I know and love is the one inhabiting a timeline that includes it. One of 'me' is going to keep going.
Okay, this is getting into stuff that isn't allowed by PF guidelines, so I'm bailing.

Our chances of survival would increase if we could branch out from the planet and inhabit Mars, Venus , The moon. A few increases in tech and the will to go would at least get the eggs out of one basket and spread us around a bit. A question could be: Could a colony of 2500 people on the moon or Mars survive if cut off from Earth due to any disaster on Earth. How advanced and well entrenched would they have to be to make it and move on? How long would it take to reach a level of self sustainability and progress...The sooner we move out the greater our chances imho

hammertime said:
Hey, sorry I've been asking these hypothetical questions about future advanced civilizations, but I have another question. It's a bit nebulous, and I apologize for that.

Or would something happen, sooner or later, to wipe it out (i.e. running out of resources, cataclysmic war, black hole, etc)?

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, do you mean a civilization or a species? Civilizations have come and gone but humans have survived. Also, if the human race survives for another billion years, our decendents probably wouldn't be recognizable as human. And already we find creatures in places like the intersection of Hollywood and Vine Blvds, who don't appear to be fully human. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What factors will determine the survival of future civilizations?

The survival of future civilizations will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to technological advancements, resource management, global cooperation, and environmental sustainability.

2. Will our current actions impact the survival of future civilizations?

Yes, our current actions have a direct impact on the survival of future civilizations. Our choices and behaviors, such as pollution, overconsumption, and deforestation, can have long-term consequences on the environment and resources that are crucial for the survival of future civilizations.

3. What role does climate change play in the survival of future civilizations?

Climate change is a significant factor in the survival of future civilizations. The warming of the planet and its consequences, such as extreme weather events and rising sea levels, can have a devastating impact on human societies and their ability to thrive.

4. How can we ensure the survival of future civilizations?

Ensuring the survival of future civilizations will require a combination of individual and collective actions. This can include reducing our carbon footprint, investing in sustainable technologies, promoting global cooperation, and prioritizing environmental conservation.

5. Is it possible for future civilizations to thrive without depleting Earth's resources?

Yes, it is possible for future civilizations to thrive without depleting Earth's resources. This will require a shift towards sustainable practices and technologies, as well as responsible resource management. It is crucial for us to prioritize sustainability in order to ensure the survival of future civilizations.