Drafting: Exploring the Future of Piping Design

In summary, the conversation revolves around the person's interest in pursuing a piping design course and their confusion about whether it is worth it considering the current job market. They also discuss the possibility of getting an engineering degree and using work to fund further education. It is mentioned that the person already has a degree in mechanical engineering and has gained knowledge in drafting while working. The conversation also touches upon the idea of using computer design for automation and the potential for designing automation systems in the future.
jmex
Hello,

I am working as a drafter more than a year now in a valve industry but always keen to learn more. I do like designing, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and as a drafter I came to learn API. I want to know if piping design course is worth to undergo? I mean looking at current scenario where conventional source is depleting fast. So if I am to choose any field which one is best?
I welcome any possible field related to mechanical course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drafting is an entry level position. A piping design course is basically a specialized technical endeavor that may not last long (such things are getting automated).

If you truly like thermodynamics and fluid mechanics I suggest following a broader approach toward getting an Engineering degree. Use your work to fund efforts at school. I suggest working as many hours as you can at a local community college. If you can get through that, then spring for the big money Engineering School. Most of your class credits should transfer. Talk to some school guidance counselors.

Likes CalcNerd, billy_joule, Locrian and 1 other person
It is not typical for a person doing drafting to have technical knowledge beyond, such as fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. If that is accurate, you are off to a good start. Also, are you already actually doing 'piping design' or rather documenting such design?
Either way, you should always follow your interests and for career and pay purposes as already suggested, take the most education you can. Perhaps if you did take the 'piping design course' and followed that with further education,such as computer design, YOU could be one who designs the automation?

Likes jmex
JakeBrodskyPE said:
Drafting is an entry level position. A piping design course is basically a specialized technical endeavor that may not last long (such things are getting automated).
I was thinking the same. I am new and exploring possibilities.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
If you truly like thermodynamics and fluid mechanics I suggest following a broader approach toward getting an Engineering degree. Use your work to fund efforts at school. I suggest working as many hours as you can at a local community college. If you can get through that, then spring for the big money Engineering School. Most of your class credits should transfer. Talk to some school guidance counselors.

I already have a degree in mechanical engineering and that's how I learned my interest towards fluids and thermal. After completion I got job as draftsmen in an organization which not only helped me to have grip in drafting software but also explored many standards used in industries. Now I'm bit confused which way to go?

Albert36 said:
It is not typical for a person doing drafting to have technical knowledge beyond, such as fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. If that is accurate, you are off to a good start. Also, are you already actually doing 'piping design' or rather documenting such design?
Either way, you should always follow your interests and for career and pay purposes as already suggested, take the most education you can. Perhaps if you did take the 'piping design course' and followed that with further education, such as computer design, YOU could be one who designs the automation?

True that I should follow my interests. Good idea to go with computer design which will help in Automation. Automation is a good choice but never heard use of piping design in automation.

1. What is drafting and how is it relevant to piping design?

Drafting is the process of creating technical drawings and diagrams for construction, manufacturing, or engineering purposes. In piping design, drafting is essential for creating accurate and detailed plans for the installation and maintenance of piping systems.

2. What are the benefits of using drafting in piping design?

Drafting allows for precise and standardized communication of design plans, which reduces the risk of errors and ensures efficient construction. It also allows for easy modification and updates to the design as needed.

3. What are the key factors to consider when drafting for piping design?

Some key factors to consider include the materials and dimensions of the piping system, the layout and placement of components, and adherence to industry standards and regulations.

4. What technologies are used in drafting for piping design?

Technologies such as computer-aided design (CAD) software and 3D modeling tools are commonly used in drafting for piping design. These tools allow for more accurate and efficient creation of technical drawings and diagrams.

5. How does drafting contribute to the future of piping design?

The use of advanced technologies in drafting, such as virtual and augmented reality, is revolutionizing the way piping systems are designed and constructed. These technologies allow for more efficient and precise planning, resulting in safer and more sustainable piping systems.