Did Your Past Dreams Predict Your Present Life?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dreaming about the future and how close individuals have come to achieving those dreams. The speaker reflects on their own life and how they used to dream about their current situation when they were younger. They also mention the transition from focusing on what they don't want to aiming towards what they want in life. The conversation also touches on the idea of daydreams and how they can be more desirable than reality. One person shares their dreams of being physically different and another talks about their dreams of being a professor and moving to a different country, neither of which have come true yet. The conversation concludes with the importance of being true to oneself and cherishing those who support us.
rootX
Did you dreamed of future (like place you want to live, work you want to do, partner you want to live with) 10,20,30,40,50, ... years ago and how close you got your near you dreams?

I would need to work on finding if I ever dreamed something that I have now. So far, my life have been quite unexpected and I cannot remember carrying any serious expectations. However, I always carry some stupid dreams.

I will admit I have not thought much about how to best compose this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
dreams are good - I used to dream how I would be now when I was a teenager. and out of all the diffierent aspects I dreamt about, I'd say one aspect has kind of turned out as I had hoped, I would also say it is the area I put the most thought and effort into.

I realized some years ago that I had been making life decisions based on what I did not want - that is, I knew what I didn't want my life to be, and I was steering away from that.

But now I'm transitioning to aiming towards what I want, instead of away from what I don't want.

I dreamed about falling from great heights, or going to school naked. But I never did those things.

Do you mean like sleeping dreams or dreams like how you hope you're life will be in the future?
In both cases I always seem to be 30 pounds lighter and with much bigger arms...

I love daydreaming which is always beautiful.
however, my real life have always been disasterous.
fantasies are always much better than realities.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I dreamed about falling from great heights, or going to school naked. But I never did those things.

It's quite easy to jump for only couple of hundred dollars but you are bit old for the latter

Last edited:
lisab said:
I realized some years ago that I had been making life decisions based on what I did not want - that is, I knew what I didn't want my life to be, and I was steering away from that.

But now I'm transitioning to aiming towards what I want, instead of away from what I don't want.

lisa,

I think it natural as we age to really begin to know ourselves at a much deeper level than in our 20's and 30's. We begin realize our time here is limited, not limitless, and that we cherish those who support our beliefs and activities that make us happiest. Conversely, we may have to confront those who don't and take whatever action is necessary in order to be a happier healthier individual. At the end of the day, to be true to one's self is all that really matters.

Rhody... :smile:

edit: P.S. as far as dreams of that play themselves out, presenting future opportunities, I have had some that inspire me from time to time, but they never play themselves out as vividly or aggressively in real life, they are fun to imagine though.

Last edited:
Well two dreams, one being a professor of maths and physics and the second moving to some northern cold country.

Neither happened as of yet.

1. What is the future of life on Earth?

The future of life on Earth is uncertain and depends on many factors such as climate change, technological advancements, and human behavior. However, scientists believe that with proper conservation efforts and sustainable practices, life on Earth can continue for many more years.

2. Can our dreams predict the future?

The scientific consensus is that dreams do not have the ability to predict the future. Dreams are a reflection of our thoughts, emotions, and experiences and do not have any supernatural abilities. While some dreams may seem to foreshadow future events, it is often just a coincidence.

3. How can we create a better future for ourselves?

Creating a better future for ourselves involves setting goals, making positive changes in our behavior and habits, and being open to learning and adapting. It also involves being mindful of the impact our actions have on the environment and society.

4. Will we ever be able to live in a utopian society?

A utopian society, where everything is perfect and everyone is happy, is not possible to achieve. Human nature and individual differences make it difficult to create a utopia. However, we can strive to create a better and more equitable society through continuous progress and improvement.

5. How will technology shape our future lives?

Technology will continue to play a major role in shaping our future lives. It has the potential to improve our quality of life, increase efficiency and productivity, and provide solutions to global challenges. However, it is important to consider the ethical and social implications of technological advancements to ensure a positive impact on society.