Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Future of the UN

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Could you clarify, please, there are two ways to read your post:

1. The UN is a flawed organization and should be disbanded in favor of a new one or reworked.
    2. The general concept of an international diplomatic organization is fatally flawed and should be abandoned.

If your opinion is #1, I agree and think it should be reworked or scrapped and redone. There are also some fundamental problems with the concept (#2) that imply it isn't possible (yet) to have a functional international diplomatic organization, but imo, it is better to have a flawed/semi-functional one vs none at all.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    It looks hard to get something better than the current UN system but without it we are worse off.

I also agree with Russ, but I don't think it's easier or even possible to restructure UN unless something big happens.

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4
    Yes, it's #1. And here comes the million dollar question: Should it (new organization) have any power and if so, how should the power be distributed?

6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The UN has lots of minor groups/committes that provide a forum for debate/opportunity for minor politicians to create pubicty.

It's like caling for the federal government to be shut down because some DVLC official in Oshkosh called for a ban on car phones.

7. Apr 2, 2009 #6
    The UN shouldn't be a place for minor politicians to create a career. And the UN has bigger problems than the religion case, but that does highlight the problems. Besides a better analogy would be a ban approved and ratified by the federal government.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook