1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Future of theoretical Physics

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    Okay Hello Forum
    Im a student in high school atm
    and Im extremely passionate about Mathematics(pure and computational) and Theoretical Physics
    I may be young and ambitious and whatnot at this point of my life but I'd really love some feedback to guide me on a clearer path... so I wanted to go into Quantum Field theory and I was debating with my dad earlier ..according to him you need to take an engineering subject alongside so as to be on the safe side of things but to be honest Im more focussed on the theoretical side of Physics . Anyway so my questions are as follows and any correction in my notion of becoming a physicist would be appreciated.
    1) Does the theoretical side of Physics have any scope in today's day and age?
    2) Assuming that I wanted to go into Quantum field theory and whatnot , what would I be doing after my Masters ? or phD for that matter ... As in how would I go about making a living out of it?
    3)What is the future of Theoretical Physics?
    4) The job market and job opportunities? Do most people with a Physics degree end up teaching in highschools and whatnot?

P.S. I apologise for the poor presentation of my questions , Im very young but I need to know and I'd love to correct any wrong notions I possess so please go easy on me :P

Thank you !!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2
    Note that in the field of physics "theoretical" has a meaning that is different than it is to the public. What the public calls "theoretical physics" the physics community would call "hypothetical physics".

Every field in physics has theorists working in it. Condensed matter, optics, biophysics, high energy, astronomy/cosmology - They all have theorists and experimentalist and the distinction between the two is often blurry. Also take care not to confuse a field of physics with a theory of physics. Quantum field theory is a theory, it is used in multiple fields of physics.

The job market is tough for everyone and physics is no exception. You wont really have any job specific skills after studying physics, you will be educated in physics. The natural thing to do after a physics BS is to go to graduate school to get some marketable skills (or continue on the path to academia).

4. May 1, 2013 #3
    My story is almost the same friend,
    about bachelor's in engineering, my physics proff told me that it is a kinda back up option to make up the living
    and ya, most of the physicist end up teaching in universities

5. May 1, 2013 #4

Yes i understand the distinction between theorists and experimentalists and that they exist in every field ... but the thing is Im not too fond of the engineering side and I want to be immersed in the theoretical part of it , Id like to do what the hotshots of physics have done , Feynmann , Einstein , Schrodinger , Heisenberg , Pauli etc... I'd like to discover and explore .. but the only thing that distresses me is making a living out of it all , how did these great physicists manage ?

6. May 1, 2013 #5
    But say your not as fortunate as those who end up teaching in universities? End up teaching a highschool class then what? and I really dont want to deviate towards engineering :/ Im really passionate about the theoretical side of physics , thats where my interest deeply lies

7. May 1, 2013 #6
    Alright let me add a few more points of information.
    Now considering that the job market for physicists isnt too great , lets assume Ive got a backup plan for making money or that i hail from a very rich family.. then should taking an engineering course be a necessity? I mean the only reason folks take an engineering course alongside is to have a way of making decent amount of money and maybe applying concepts learnt..
    but here's my question
    If I have sufficient funds to support me , is taking an engineering course even necessary?
    I originally want to major in Maths and Physics (Bachelors) but all this debating has really confused me...

Please help !

8. May 1, 2013 #7
    You generally only take engineering courses if your major is engineering. If you are majoring in math and physics then you probably wont have time to take engineering classes.

9. May 1, 2013 #8

Yes I agree but my parent says I should drop the math major and go for an engineering major alongside physics ? What should I do? I really want to major in math and physics , ive always wanted to be a mathematician/physicist and im well aware of how much time and work it asks for... so are you saying there's no point of co-majoring in engineering as long as you've got an alternative source of income ?

Also note that I wasnt considering co-majoring in engineering because I wanted to..

10. May 1, 2013 #9
    No, Im not saying anything of the sort. Your issue seems to be an interpersonal one between you and your family. Personally, I never asked my parents for permission on what I should major in. But then, I was not financially dependent on them so I was free to choose what I did.

11. May 1, 2013 #10
    It was a different time back then my friend. If money is something you value greatly then I would suggest not going into science. You will be in school for 10+ years, get paid around 25 000/year +/- 10-20k depending what institution you are at for grad and post doc.

So what I'm saying is that if you are not ready to be under paid for the amount of labour you will endure, if you think you can buy a house by the time your in your early 30s(not to mention the chances of getting a position in physics after all that is slim to none and even worse getting a teaching position), you should definitely go into something else. This is the reality

12. May 1, 2013 #11
    Nononono Money is not something Im after at all , its all about the science I would never even consider science if it was for the money... Im passionate about learning and exploring ... but my problem is that my guardians are worried about the job market I try my best to convince them that I wont end up homeless but they dont seem to understand and Ive got an idea to make money to PAY FOR MY TUITION Fees and other needs but my parents suggested that I take an engineering course as a way of generating income (which I dont really care about , 25k is enough for me )
    but my question is ... How do I convince my parents that physicists have a future and engineering isnt a requisite course to survive in the so called "real world" :/ I know this is a personal problem but I really need help !! Im not worried about the income that Ill generate at this point all I need is a convincing argument to present to my parents and If you will , please outline what options are present for a person after completion of Masters (physics) and ofcourse after PhD... at what point does research start? where professors take you under their wing?
    Once again excuse me for my informality.

13. May 1, 2013 #12
    Would you elaborate on the "not being financially dependent on your parents" , how did you pay for tuition fees and other expenses?

14. May 1, 2013 #13
    Most people get a job :)

15. May 1, 2013 #14
    Well first off you will not be generating income outside of grad school, it will be impossible to work full time, study, research, TA etc. Grad school usually keeps people very busy(from what I've heard its not impossible, just very unlikely).

After getting your bachelors in physics you have many options. Medical physics, Geophysics, engineering grad school, physics grad school etc.

What is more important than the major itself is what skills you have developed. Programming, electronics etc. Which are marketable.

16. May 1, 2013 #15
    I worked, took out loans and govt. grants. I started college at 19 after I was living on my own, my parents had nothing to do with it. (Maybe if they did I would have a more useful engineering degree... but probably not :wink:)

Just tell them the truth. You dont care about money and want to do physics regardless of what it may or may not offer you.

If you are serious about doing physics for a career, you start doing research as an undergrad. Usually in your 3rd year, but the earlier the better.

In the end, it probably wont matter that much. Most people do not get a career doing what they envision and many get one that is not related to their degree at all.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  17. May 1, 2013 #16
    The American Physical Society has some statistical data on physics careers.

http://www.aps.org/careers/statistics/index.cfm

I'm a PhD student studying theoretical plasma physics/nuclear fusion. I can tell you that all of my friends who have graduated within the last few years have had no problem finding well paying jobs.

Many graduate physics programs offer teaching assistantships or research assistantships for their graduate students. Theses assistantships usually wave tuition and provide a small stipend to cover rent and food.

Finally I encourage you to keep an open mind. There are many unsolved frontiers is theoretical physics, so don't limit yourself to the ones that get the most popularization.

18. May 1, 2013 #17
    Nicce :D alright so I have gist of what I am to do and what not to do but once again I shall ask you whether or not I should major in a certain engineering field alongside physics? but that would mean not majoring math (which Im averse to ) and Yes I shouldnt localize myself to a certain part of physics.. Thank you all for your help !!

19. May 1, 2013 #18
    One thing to keep in mind regarding money is simply that saying you don't care about money is an extremely idealistic and unrealistic point of view. I once shared this same point of view but as the years roll on, it slowly dawns on you that money is very important. I don't mean being greedy and trying to make millions, thats a whole 'nother story. I mean earning a decent living to support yourself and your family. As time goes by you will have responsibilities to many other people besides yourself.

I was once idealistic and kept saying that I don't care about money. Well, you know what? I'm married now, and we are thinking about kids. Trying doing that on 30k/year, working 12-14+ hour days and moving to a new city every year or two when the PI loses his grant money or some such thing.

Being idealistic and making yourself believe that money isn't important is nice when you are young. Don't forget that you have, and will have in the future, a responsibility to others around you. I would listen to your father and have a fall back option. The more I get into Academia the more I realize its almost the same as moving to Hollywood, waiting tables and hoping to be an actor. And if you believe that Academia is somehow a safe haven, free from biases and other personal agendas, you have a rough road ahead...it is not always that the better/smarter/whatever guy becomes more successful. Science and Academia is riddled with, much like any other profession, political agendas and other such nonsense.

Also keep in mind that people like Feynman, Einstein, Pauli et al were very special people. They were successful for any number of reasons, hard work, natural intelligence/curiosity and even a bit of luck. For every Feynman there were 100 others who you may never hear about who spent a good portion of their lives' bouncing around trying to make things happen. You should prepare for the possibility that you will be one of the 100.

I guess my take-away is that you need to hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. My advice is to listen to those older than you, they may seem like they don't know anything but, trust me, they have been through a lot that you have yet to face.

20. May 1, 2013 #19
    Yanick Thanks for long and very inclusive reply , It shed light on a lot of things and clarified a lot of doubts , at the moment a friend of mine and I are making money from a our website through google adsense and I know this wont last for long but Im trying to find an easy way out , maybe what Im doing is ridiculous but if it works and im able to make this a stable income source then great , keep note that Im not trying to be a millionaire or whatnot but Ive thought things through and hence decided to make money (solely to pay for tuition fees and other expenses) ... I will take your reply into consideration but I was slightly averse to the fact that I should take a engineering course alongside solely to act as a fallback plan. I know im young and ambitious and quite unrealistic at times but If I am able to find an alternative stable source , would taking an engineering course be necessary? and is it solely recommended incase things dont work out the way I want them to be? and when I say I dont care about money , what I mean is , Im not solely going to make a decision based on how much income I generate from doing a certain thing , but that I will give my interest and passion more priority. By the way this website I own generates quite a bit of income (7000$ per month) Through ad revenues ... But lets hope I find a way out.. I was simply averse to the idea of having to become an engineer to make money! Please respond to this as I await for your lenghty and inclusive feedback.

21. May 1, 2013 #20
    From the above discussion, does that mean an engineering degree is of no use for a theoretical physicist? And people just do it for money earning purpose? Please tell the truth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook