Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Future or past

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    if it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light will we be seeing the future or the past?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    Future [but how ??]
  4. Jan 12, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It's not possible to travel faster than the speed of light. It's a little like asking what you would see if you were north of the North Pole.
  5. Jan 12, 2009 #4
    I guess, if these things exist, we could use a wormhole and appear someplace before the light. That way we wouldn't travel faster than light but still arrive before the light, if you see what I mean. As we came there before the light I find it logic that we would see the future. When we look at the sun, we see about 8 minutes back in time.

I'm not the person to answer, though. I'm only in High School, second year. I am, however, very interested in this stuff^^
  6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
  7. Mar 2, 2009 #6
    If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light and lets say you where looking back at the earth you would see the earth as it looked in the past. The longer you did that the further in the past you would see. The signal that was transmitted of men landing on the moon is still traveling in outer space at the speed of light and if you could overtake that signal by traveling faster than the signal you could see the event happen.
  8. Mar 3, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Attached Files:

• ftl.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB
  9. Mar 3, 2009 #8
    About 30 years ago, a physicist proposed that there might be a particle that can travel faster than the speed of light, which he named a tachyon. No one has ever seen such a particle, although it appears occasionally in the literature. So the tachyon is still a virtual particle. Maybe a virtual person made of tachyons could travel faster than the speed of light.
  10. Mar 3, 2009 #9
    I am amazed that this hasn't been locked yet.
  11. Mar 3, 2009 #10
    What if you were traveling toward the earth??
  12. Mar 13, 2009 #11
  13. Mar 14, 2009 #12
    i would imagine that u would see in the future because your clock would tick slower than
    one that was on earth. I read in a book once that if we traveled 95% the speed of light
    and we did this for 40 years our time and we came back to earth the earth would have aged 202 years so we could meet our great, great , great , great grandchildren so in a sense we are traveling to earths future.
  14. Mar 14, 2009 #13
    this is only true if you travel below or at exact speed of light. If you go above it, time for you will go faster than that on Earth. As one can see from the link above, if you do a one year trip at 200% the speed of light, only about 7 months will pass by on Earth so time for you goes faster. This is only wishful thinking because if you go above the speed of light, you enter imaginary time which doesn't exist in reality, so like I said, the question becomes meaningless.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?