Future Physics Student: Can I Compete?

In summary: You'll be able to compete--and do well!--if you put in the effort. Good luck!In summary, you'll need to focus and study hard to keep up with the younger students.
gwh03s
He guys. I am a 28 year old student. I spent several years in the Army and I am just finishing a AS degree in Respiratory therapy. My question is ever since I was a little kid I was amazed by Physics. Upon my decision to attend USF to work toward a BS in Applied physics I realized I have never taken a college level Phyics class. I am a very good student I make straight A's but will I be able to compete with kids who are younger than me and have been in school nonstop since High school. Any opinion would be appreciated. Oh yea I was an Engineer in the Army.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gwh03s said:
He guys. I am a 28 year old student. I spent several years in the Army and I am just finishing a AS degree in Respiratory therapy. My question is ever since I was a little kid I was amazed by Physics. Upon my decision to attend USF to work toward a BS in Applied physics I realized I have never taken a college level Phyics class. I am a very good student I make straight A's but will I be able to compete with kids who are younger than me and have been in school nonstop since High school. Any opinion would be appreciated. Oh yea I was an Engineer in the Army.
Thanks

Will you be able to compete? You won't know unless you try!

You're certainly not too old, but it might take you half a semester or so to get into the flow of things.

How are your math skills?

Also, you can get lots of good help on the homework section of this site.

Good luck!

I have taken both Calculus 1 and 2 but it has actually been 7 years since I have taken them. I feel like i can compete but it just seems like I have to play catch up and review at the same time. I have a family and I will be working while going to school . I just don't want to be too overwhelmed. Thanks

You'll be able to compete. It just may take a little while to get back in the swing of things. Heck, I need some time to get back in the swing of things after a winter break!:rolleyes:

Stay focused and work hard and you'll be fine. Good Luck!

thanks for the support guys

I think you'll be fine, but you might want to have a math book or two on hand for reference or just to refresh your memory.

god, you are in the same boat with me... I am almost 28 btw..
I've taken calculus 1 and 2 and vector calculus, It was like 7 years ago..
This semester I got 3.8 gpa out of 5.0 and it scared me to death,
because I read lots of grad school, they want at least 4.0 above for the intake.. I just asked for a transfer to engineering because I think I won't make the grades but I still don't know about the result..
I could understand the concept because I like physics, but sometimes to get the grip with the math takes time..
My school is quite competitive school.. Lots of physics olympiads.. maybe around 20+ people in less than 100 students..

I am a very good student I make straight A's but will I be able to compete with kids who are younger than me and have been in school nonstop since High school.

Absolutely, no reason why not. The 'mature students' as we call them tend to be the ones with their heads screwed on and can be counted on to put the work in. I imagine particularly as a soldier you have a great deal more self-discipline than the average college kid, this will do you well. First year is all about doing the work you're given and following instructions.

In my experience the older people tend to drift away from the rest whereas physics courses tend to be designed for collaboration between students - and as a result they can suffer. Make sure you don't get left out of the student bonding so that there are always people to discuss problems with.

1. Can I compete in the field of physics without a strong mathematical background?

While having a strong foundation in mathematics is certainly beneficial for pursuing a career in physics, it is not always a requirement. Many successful physicists have come from various backgrounds, and with dedication and hard work, anyone can develop their mathematical skills to compete in the field.

2. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to be a competitive physics student?

Prior research experience can definitely give you an advantage, but it is not a necessity. Many undergraduate physics programs offer research opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, having a strong understanding of theoretical concepts and a passion for the subject can also make you a competitive physics student.

3. How important is having a strong understanding of computer programming in physics?

In today's age, computer programming has become an essential tool in physics research. However, it is not always a requirement for being a competitive physics student. Many undergraduate physics programs offer introductory courses in programming, and with practice and determination, anyone can develop their programming skills.

4. What can I do to stand out as a competitive physics student?

Aside from excelling in your coursework, there are many ways to stand out as a competitive physics student. Joining physics clubs and organizations, participating in research opportunities, and attending conferences and workshops are all great ways to showcase your passion and dedication for the subject.

5. Is it possible to compete in the field of physics as a non-traditional student?

Absolutely! Physics welcomes individuals from all backgrounds and at any stage in their academic journey. Many universities offer flexible programs for non-traditional students, and with determination and hard work, anyone can compete and excel in the field of physics.