Future researcher, ChemE vs Physics

In summary, you are torn between studying Chemical Engineering and Physics in your third year of undergraduate study. While you prefer Physics, you believe that Chemical Engineering will provide more opportunities for meaningful and challenging work in research at places like PNNL, Fermi, NASA, and Argonne. While a PhD may not be necessary for some research positions, obtaining an advanced degree can open up more opportunities.
NanjoeBot
Im entering my 3rd year of chemical engineering undergraduate study and I am still really torn between ChemE and physics. They both are exciting to me. I actually like physics more, however, the way I see it, ChemE will give me more opportunities while still providing similar intellectual rewards that physics offers. (hope that makes sense)

Now when It comes down to it, I just want a job that's significant, and challenging, where I can develop new things or make new discoveries. I think it would be amazing to work in places like PNNL, Fermi, NASA, or Argonne. So I think I belong in research and I feel that chemE is a good route for this.
Am I correct? Or would physics be a better choice?

Also, If I do get a ChemE B.S., would I have to go for a PhD to get a job at places like I mentioned above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only you can make the ultimate decision between Chemical Engineering and Physics. However, it sounds like Chemical Engineering is the right choice for you if you want to pursue research in the areas you mentioned. Depending on the specific job, it may not be necessary to obtain a PhD; many research positions are available with a Bachelor's degree. However, obtaining an advanced degree will certainly open up more opportunities.

1. What is the difference between a ChemE and a Physics researcher?

A Chemical Engineer (ChemE) researcher focuses on the application of chemistry principles to solve real-world problems, such as developing new materials or improving industrial processes. A Physics researcher, on the other hand, focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

2. Which field has more job opportunities for future researchers?

Both ChemE and Physics have a wide range of job opportunities for researchers. However, the demand for Chemical Engineers is expected to grow more in the future due to the increasing need for sustainable and environmentally-friendly solutions in industries such as energy, pharmaceuticals, and materials.

3. What skills are required for a ChemE researcher?

A ChemE researcher needs strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of chemistry principles and their practical applications. They also need to have good communication and teamwork skills, as research often involves collaboration with other scientists and engineers.

4. Can a ChemE researcher switch to a career in Physics research?

While it is possible for a ChemE researcher to switch to a career in Physics research, it may require additional education and training in physics principles and research methods. However, the skills and knowledge gained in a ChemE degree can be beneficial in many areas of physics research, such as materials science and nanotechnology.

5. Which field offers better salary prospects for researchers?

The average salary for ChemE and Physics researchers may vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. However, both fields offer competitive salaries and have potential for growth and advancement. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals.