Future travel: How will we get around?

In summary: maybe in the future we'll see some sort of flying car, but it's probably not going to be anything like the ones that were tested recently.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The prospect of a revolution in air travel has been raised by Nasa's successful test of a 5,000mph plane. But are we likely to see similar advances in other forms of transport? [continued]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3580337.stm

Computer science news on Phys.org
I kinda like the idea of ultralight flying car idea, but I think someone may go overboard and mount a light machine gun on their flying car and strafte people (most likely mafioso types). And jet packs? Better have good protection, wouldn't want to slam face-first into a wall.

The only idea that seems interesting enough to implement is the driverless cabs and the maglev trains (for extremely congested urban areas).

Then again... there are always the classic ways of transporation. Bicycling is probably not going to go away for a very long time. Or do like I do and run around town. To get to the other side my town, it usually takes me around thirty or so minutes, depending on pace.

Or for the physically-challenged there is that Segway human transporter two-wheel gyrostabilized thingie.

I thaught that that plane was very unnessesary and a large waste of the environments resources.

Future Travel?

Hybrid and Hydrogen powered cars.

If Americans are willing to give up the V8 SUVs full of power they don't need.

Aye, future travel, at least what we'll see seems to be rooted in the gas-efficient cars. If the auto industry would just give in and start making more and more cars with the engines, Joe Consumer wouldn't have the option to buy the gas-guzzling V8 Ford Excursion.

I'm telling you, if Honda would make a car that looked similar to the $300,000 Lamborghini, with the engine of their hybrid, and have it cost under $20k, they would sell a ton of them!

As far as flying cars, etc, hell no. At least not if they are under the control of the public. Think just how bad soooo many drivers are these days. Think of road rage. Now imagine that at any altitude. Holy hell!

That automatic driving system thing that they tested in California looks great, but that has the same problem as everything else. You have to have the car with the technology to use it. That means EVERYONE buying new cars, which is not financially possible.

Who knows..

1. What advancements in technology will impact future travel?

There are several advancements in technology that are expected to have a big impact on future travel. These include the development of electric and autonomous vehicles, the use of drones for transportation, and the implementation of high-speed transportation systems like hyperloop.

2. Will we still use traditional modes of transportation in the future?

While traditional modes of transportation like cars, trains, and airplanes will still be used in the future, they are likely to be more advanced and efficient. For example, electric cars and high-speed trains will become more prevalent, and airplanes may use alternative fuels to reduce their carbon footprint.

3. How will future travel impact the environment?

Future travel is expected to have a significant impact on the environment. With the increase in transportation options, there will likely be an increase in carbon emissions. However, advancements in technology and the use of alternative fuels can help to mitigate these impacts.

4. Will space travel become a common form of transportation in the future?

While space travel is still in its early stages, it is expected to become more common in the future. Private companies like SpaceX are already working on developing commercial space travel, and it is possible that in the future, space travel will become a viable option for long-distance travel.

5. How will future travel impact the way we live and work?

Future travel is likely to have a significant impact on the way we live and work. With advancements in technology, it is possible that we will see an increase in remote working and telecommuting, as well as changes in the way we plan and organize our daily commutes. Additionally, the development of hyperloop and other high-speed transportation systems could lead to changes in where people choose to live and work.