1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fux integral

1. Apr 29, 2006 #1
    Surface area integral

sorry, this is not about flux integration... but surface area! sorry about the title!

Find the surface area of the part of the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=36 [/tex] that lies above the cone [tex]z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

[tex]z=\sqrt{36-x^2-y^2} [/tex]

[tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \right) ^2 } dA[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} =\frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=\frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) [/tex]

[tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) \right) ^2 } dA[/tex]

is this correct so far? how would I find the ends of integration for a cone?

I've taken the liberty of changing the title of this thread. Since it wasn't even "flux integration" it was bothering me!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2006 #2
    It would be much easier if you convert to polar coordinates

and [tex]z=r[/tex]

Remember to use the Jacobian when you're changing coordinates.
  4. Apr 29, 2006 #3
    oh wow, okay, i got it in polar form...

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}[/tex]

[tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+46656x^2-3888x^4+108x^6-x^8}[/tex]

but what would be the ends of integration for a cone?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  5. Apr 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

First find the intersection between the cone and the sphere. This will give you a condition that you can turn into your limits of integration.
  6. Apr 29, 2006 #5
    how would I do that?

here's my guess:

the cone has equation:

the sphere has equation:
    [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=36 [/tex]

putting them together:
    [tex]x^2+y^2=18 [/tex]

so my ends would be:

[tex]\int _0 ^{2\pi} \int_0 ^{\sqrt{18}[/tex]

also, when i change from [tex]A(S)=\int\int_D \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2x \right) \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{1}{2}\left( 36-x^2-y^2 \right) ^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( -2y \right) \right) ^2 } dxdy[/tex] to the polar form [tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}dA[/tex] do I have to add the variable r at the end such that [tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r)^3}rdrd \theta[/tex]?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  7. May 1, 2006 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It should be
    [tex]\int \int \sqrt{1+r^2 (36-r^2)^3} rdrd \theta[/tex]

Apart from that, I think everything else is correct.
  8. Oct 28, 2007 #7
    how the heck do you integrate that?
  9. Oct 28, 2007 #8
    may I suggest this?
    A(S) = \int\int_S dA = \int_u \int_v \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial u} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial v} } \right| du dv
    now considering spherical coordinates, and representing the integral surface with respect to spherical coordinates
    S : x = 6 \sin \theta \cos \phi , y = 6 \sin \theta \sin \phi , z = 6 \cos \theta
    [tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{4}, 0 \leq \phi \leq 2 \pi [/tex]
    A(S) = \int_u \int_v \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial u} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial v} } \right| du dv
    = \int_\theta \int_\phi \left| { \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial \theta} \times \frac{\partial \mathop r\limits^ \to}{\partial \phi} } \right| d \theta d \phi
    = \int_\theta \int_\phi 36 \left| { \sin \theta } \right| d \theta d \phi
    = 36 \int_\theta \left| { \sin \theta } \right| d \theta \int_\phi d \phi
    =72 \pi \left( { 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} } \right)
  10. Oct 28, 2007 #9
    What is that technique called?
    haven't seen that before
  11. Oct 28, 2007 #10
    Multiple integrals, usually taught in a third calculus course. Typically comes with a few conversion ideas, like polar coordinates in this example. Each integral and its limits correspond to a variable being integrated.
  12. Oct 28, 2007 #11
    cool, I guess we'll learn that in my next course
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?