1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fuzzy arithmetic

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    fuzzy arithmetic....

hey, i'm a newbie in this field.....just know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fuzzy numbers.... but want to learn a bit more....could u give me some gud links to some sites tht explain fuzzy numbers, etc... all i get on the net is going over my head....some simple sites plssss, thnx....

also, i have this doubt....

[a,b] - [c,d] = [a-d, b-c]......right???
    therefore, transposing [c,d], we have

[a,b] = [a-d, b-c] + [c,d]
    and hence...

[a,b] = [a + c - d, b + d - c]......how is tht??? or is wrong to transpose like tht???

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2
    wow interesting...

I recommend you get a book since all I've been able to find was how to add/subtract/multiply

I think there might be some theorem you're missing that maybe changes [c,d] to [d,c] which would give you the [a,b]=[a,b]. Even though the amount of numbers inside the interval [a,b] stays the same as [a+c-d,b+d-c] it is just translated to the right/left depending on c and d.

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
    how is the amount of numbers inside the interval the same???? think abt it.... if u put
    c - d = p, say....
    the interval becomes [a + p, b - p]..... which means the interval has shortened....

5. Sep 15, 2007 #4
    whops didn't notice that ><, yea there must be some theorem or something that's missing.
    Probably any book that deals with fuzzy arithmetic will have it.

still can't find anything other than how to use a computer program to do fuzzy arithmetic...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?