Fuzzy Arithmetic: Learn Basics & Solve Doubts

• Thread starter praharmitra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses fuzzy arithmetic and the search for resources to learn more. It also raises a doubt about transposing intervals and the potential need for a missing theorem. The speakers suggest getting a book on fuzzy arithmetic for more information.
praharmitra
fuzzy arithmetic...

hey, I'm a newbie in this field...just know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fuzzy numbers... but want to learn a bit more...could u give me some gud links to some sites tht explain fuzzy numbers, etc... all i get on the net is going over my head...some simple sites plssss, thnx...

also, i have this doubt...

[a,b] - [c,d] = [a-d, b-c]...right?
therefore, transposing [c,d], we have

[a,b] = [a-d, b-c] + [c,d]
and hence...

[a,b] = [a + c - d, b + d - c]...how is tht? or is wrong to transpose like tht?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
wow interesting...

I recommend you get a book since all I've been able to find was how to add/subtract/multiply

I think there might be some theorem you're missing that maybe changes [c,d] to [d,c] which would give you the [a,b]=[a,b]. Even though the amount of numbers inside the interval [a,b] stays the same as [a+c-d,b+d-c] it is just translated to the right/left depending on c and d.

bob1182006 said:
wow interesting...

I recommend you get a book since all I've been able to find was how to add/subtract/multiply

I think there might be some theorem you're missing that maybe changes [c,d] to [d,c] which would give you the [a,b]=[a,b]. Even though the amount of numbers inside the interval [a,b] stays the same as [a+c-d,b+d-c] it is just translated to the right/left depending on c and d.

how is the amount of numbers inside the interval the same? think abt it... if u put
c - d = p, say...
the interval becomes [a + p, b - p]... which means the interval has shortened...

whops didn't notice that ><, yea there must be some theorem or something that's missing.
Probably any book that deals with fuzzy arithmetic will have it.

still can't find anything other than how to use a computer program to do fuzzy arithmetic...

What is fuzzy arithmetic?

Fuzzy arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with values that are not precisely defined or can have multiple interpretations. It allows for the representation and manipulation of uncertain or imprecise data.

How is fuzzy arithmetic different from traditional arithmetic?

Fuzzy arithmetic differs from traditional arithmetic in that it allows for values to exist on a spectrum rather than being strictly defined. Traditional arithmetic deals with precise, numerical values, while fuzzy arithmetic deals with values that have a degree of uncertainty or ambiguity.

What are some applications of fuzzy arithmetic?

Fuzzy arithmetic has many applications in fields such as artificial intelligence, economics, and engineering. It is commonly used in decision-making processes where there is uncertainty or imprecision in the data.

What are the basic operations in fuzzy arithmetic?

The basic operations in fuzzy arithmetic include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, these operations may be performed differently than in traditional arithmetic due to the presence of fuzzy values.

How can one solve doubts in fuzzy arithmetic?

The best way to solve doubts in fuzzy arithmetic is to consult with experts in the field or refer to reliable resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to work through examples to gain a better understanding of the concepts.