Calculating Angle of Fuzzy Dice with Acceleration

In summary, the question is asking for the angle that the fuzzy dice hanging from a car's rearview mirror will make with the vertical as the car accelerates at 3.54m/s^2. Using a force diagram, the equations Fx=Tcos(theta)=M(3.54m/s^2) and Fy=Tsin(Theta)-Mg=0 are derived. To find theta, the equations are divided and the arctangent is taken to solve for the angle. This method can be discussed further in the Homework Help Zone on physicsforums.com.
Kharmon7814
I'm not sure I have enough info but the question goes like this...Fuzzy dice are hanging from a rearview mirror. The car accelerates at 3.54m/s^2 What angle will the dice make with the vertical? I have a force diagram showing of the dice Mg points down. T points up to the right in the 1st quadrant. For the summation of forces I have Fx=Tcos(theta)=M(3.54m/s^2) and Fy=Tsin(Theta)-Mg=0. What am I missing? Not sure how to find theta..Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the two equations and take the arctangent. (And post in the homework help forums.)

Thanks but why does that work. (Where is the Homework forum?)[?] [?]

If you divide the two equations, the T's cancel out and you get a sine divided by a cosine, which is a tangent. The arctangent inverts the tangent in order to solve for the angle (arctan(tan(θ)) = θ).

The Homework Help Zone is near the bottom of the main physicsforums.com page.

Ambi,

Do me a favor and try using some of the LaTeX code! :)

- Warren

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\sum F_x & = T \sin\theta = ma \\
\sum F_y & = T \cos\theta - mg = 0
\Rightarrow T\cos\theta = mg
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\tan\theta \equiv \frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta} = \frac{T\sin\theta}{T\cos\theta} = \frac{ma}{mg} = \frac{a}{g} \\
\Rightarrow \theta = \arctan(\tan\theta) = \arctan \frac{a}{g}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Last edited:

What is fuzzy dice acceleration?

Fuzzy dice acceleration is a term used to describe the phenomenon where a car or other vehicle accelerates faster when fuzzy dice are hanging from the rearview mirror. It is often considered a superstition or a joke, but some people believe that the movement of the fuzzy dice creates a slight shift in the vehicle's center of gravity, leading to a faster acceleration.

Is there any scientific evidence that fuzzy dice acceleration is real?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that fuzzy dice have any impact on a vehicle's acceleration. In fact, studies have shown that the movement of the dice is too small to have any noticeable effect on the car's performance.

Why do some people believe in fuzzy dice acceleration?

Belief in fuzzy dice acceleration is often based on superstition or personal experiences. Some people may have noticed a coincidence between hanging fuzzy dice and a faster acceleration, leading them to believe that the two are connected. Others may simply enjoy the idea of having a lucky charm in their car.

Can fuzzy dice affect the handling or safety of a vehicle?

No, fuzzy dice have no impact on the handling or safety of a vehicle. As mentioned before, the movement of the dice is too small to have any significant effect on the car's performance. As long as the fuzzy dice are not obstructing the driver's view, they do not pose any safety risks.

Are there any benefits to having fuzzy dice in a car?

Aside from being a fun and quirky decoration, fuzzy dice have no real benefits for a car or its performance. However, they can serve as a conversation starter and may bring a bit of personality to a vehicle's interior.