1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fuzzy dice acceleration

1. Nov 15, 2003 #1
    I'm not sure I have enough info but the question goes like this...Fuzzy dice are hanging from a rearview mirror. The car accelerates at 3.54m/s^2 What angle will the dice make with the vertical? I have a force diagram showing of the dice Mg points down. T points up to the right in the 1st quadrant. For the summation of forces I have Fx=Tcos(theta)=M(3.54m/s^2) and Fy=Tsin(Theta)-Mg=0. What am I missing? Not sure how to find theta..Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2003 #2
    Divide the two equations and take the arctangent. (And post in the homework help forums.)

4. Nov 15, 2003 #3
    Thanks but why does that work. (Where is the Homework forum?)[?] [?]

5. Nov 15, 2003 #4
    If you divide the two equations, the T's cancel out and you get a sine divided by a cosine, which is a tangent. The arctangent inverts the tangent in order to solve for the angle (arctan(tan(θ)) = θ).

The Homework Help Zone is near the bottom of the main physicsforums.com page.

6. Nov 15, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ambi,

Do me a favor and try using some of the LaTeX code! :)

- Warren

7. Nov 15, 2003 #6
    [tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \sum F_x & = T \sin\theta = ma \\
    \sum F_y & = T \cos\theta - mg = 0
    \Rightarrow T\cos\theta = mg
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    \tan\theta \equiv \frac{\sin\theta}{\cos\theta} = \frac{T\sin\theta}{T\cos\theta} = \frac{ma}{mg} = \frac{a}{g} \\
    \Rightarrow \theta = \arctan(\tan\theta) = \arctan \frac{a}{g}
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?