FYI - online petition to keep Voyager & Hubble programs going

In summary, the people who want to ditch Hubble argue that Webb is "bigger and better", but they won't tell you that the Webb is optimized for infrared observations and doesn't have the capabilities that Hubble has in the visible light range.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.planetary.org/voyager_hubble/

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Question, what will money saved by abandoning the Hubble be spent on ?
How much more information can the voyagers give us ?

wolram said:
Question, what will money saved by abandoning the Hubble be spent on ?
I think a good question would be "what can Hubble and Webb do together that neither could do alone?" Webb will be optimised for longer wavelenths and will likely discover things that would benefit from HST follow-up. Ditching HST into the ocean will be a terrible waste, and after Webb comes on line, we will find out just how big our loss is when our ability to do follow-ups is limited by atmospheric conditions at the big ground-based scopes.

What is the useful life of a telescope? If we can keep Hubble in good repair, its time will be fully-subscribed for decades to come, guaranteed. If we are unwilling or unable to service it maybe we should learn to build things a little more cheaply.

I wonder how much of the US's "black budget" is devoted to the launching and targeting wonderful optical instruments that are only trained on the earth. When studying photogrammetry in the 1970s, I saw a full-color satellite image of Russian workers going into their factory. You could distinguish the women by their colorful babushkas. This was 30 years ago, folks, and the image was probably at least a decade old, or it would not have been declassified so mere college students could see it. I had already had three years of college and then worked another couple of years in the construction business before I realized that image analysis and mapmaking might be an interesting place to be. The resolution of our spy satellites in the optical (30 years ago!) is stunning - I would love to know what detector technology our tax dollars have paid for, and that we will not see in common usage for another 20 years in the interests of "national security".

Last edited:
Arent they constructing a new telescope that is an improved version of Hubble? Heard something liek it a long time ago so i might be wrong.

Pengwuino said:
Arent they constructing a new telescope that is an improved version of Hubble? Heard something liek it a long time ago so i might be wrong.
It is the James Webb telescope:

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

The people who want to ditch Hubble would like you to think Webb is "bigger and better", but they won't tell you that the Webb is optimized for infrared observations and doesn't have the capabilities that Hubble has in the visible light range. These telescopes would enhance one another, not compete.

Hey i heard of that at this lecture about 8 months ago! They were talken about its infrared observations as opposed to the visible that Hubble can.

I have signed up, it seems to me the loss is to great at a time when every
scrap of data is vital.

1. What is the FYI online petition to keep Voyager & Hubble programs going?

The FYI online petition is a virtual petition that aims to gather support and signatures to urge government officials and space agencies to continue funding and supporting the Voyager and Hubble programs. These programs are responsible for many groundbreaking discoveries and have greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe.

2. Why is it important to keep the Voyager & Hubble programs going?

The Voyager and Hubble programs have revolutionized our understanding of the universe and have provided us with valuable data and images that have greatly expanded our knowledge of space. These programs have also inspired future generations to pursue careers in science and technology. It is crucial to continue funding and supporting these programs to continue advancing our understanding of the universe.

3. How can I support the FYI online petition?

You can support the FYI online petition by signing it and sharing it with others who may be interested in preserving the Voyager and Hubble programs. You can also spread awareness about the importance of these programs and the impact they have on scientific research.

4. Who can sign the FYI online petition?

Anyone can sign the FYI online petition. Whether you are a scientist, space enthusiast, or simply someone who believes in the importance of scientific research and exploration, your signature and support are greatly appreciated.

5. What happens after the FYI online petition reaches its goal?

Once the FYI online petition reaches its goal of gathering a significant number of signatures, it will be presented to government officials and space agencies as a show of public support for the continuation of the Voyager and Hubble programs. This can help influence funding decisions and ensure that these programs are able to continue their important work.