G-delta Set Theorem: Examining its Proof

In summary, the limit of a set is the point where the sequence of sets generated by the set reaches its end.
dimitri151
Does this proof have any holes? I'm not sure about passing the lim through intersection in the second to last line.

Attachments

• analysis_problem.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
You take the limit of sets? How do you define this?

I'm a bit suspicious of the proof. Especially since you never mention the function f. And you don't seem to use the fact that f is continuous. I may have overlooked it tho...

Yeah, that's the hole. I can use the same argument to show the set of points at which f is discontinuous is a g-delta set. But I know that in that case it's a f-sigma set. I have to use the continuity property some how. Thanks!

p.s. You can take the limit of a set. Happens all the time.

as i recall, the proof that the set of points of continuity is a whatever, uses the concept of variation. I.e. given e>0 consider all x such that on some nbhd N of x, |f(y)-f(z)| < e for all y,z in N.

I think this set is open and the intersection of all these sets for e = 1/n is the set of points of continuity of f. what do you think?

I agree completely. That's exactly the argument I'm using, or trying to use. I form -1/n, +1/n interval around each point of continuity and take the limit. But it strikes me as half circular though I can't quite put my finger on where. But why can't you use the same argument for the set of points which are discontinuous. Let D be the set of points at which f is discontinuous , let N be an open ball or nbhd around each point in D then take the limit as N goes to zero around each point in D and voila all that remains is D, so the points at which f is discontinuous is a G delta set too. There's a hole.

You'll have to use continuity of f to show that

[tex]\bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}}{I_n}=\mathcal{C} [/tex]

for the rest, your proof seems fine.

And yes, I am aware that you can take a limit of sets, but the problem is that I've seen various definitions of this. I just wanted to know which one you used...

dimitri151 said:
p.s. You can take the limit of a set. Happens all the time.
To take a limit you need a topology. There is no standard topology on 'the set of all sets'. So I suggest explaining to the reader what your definition of 'limit of a set' is.

Heaven forbid we have to specify the topology every time we talk about a theorem. It's explicit that our set is the real numbers, R^1. You probably need to get out of the house if you're wondering whether or not it's a topology induced by a the euclidean metric or something else. Also remember the "set of all sets" [of X] is a topology of X.
For the definition of limits of sequences I think it's fairly standard (on a set X with subsets a_n, and topology not specified) lim sup a_n =inf sup {a_n}, lim inf a_n=sup inf {a_n}, and lim a_n exists only when lim sup a_n=lim inf a_n. I also used a_n=(f(n),g(n)), then lim (as n->infinity) a_n=(lim f(n), lim g(n)). You also look to see if a sequence of sets that's a union or intersection of some sets is monotone increasing (decreasing) so then lim (as n->infinity) = a_n or a_1 whatever the case may be, (informally-you can get rid of the union/intersection symbol). N'est pas?

Last edited:
Ah, so for a sequence of sets, you put

[tex] \limsup_{n}{A_n}=\bigcap_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\bigcup_{k=n}^{+\infty}{A_k}}~\text{and}~\liminf_{n}{A_n}=\bigcup_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\bigcap_{k=n}^{+\infty}{A_k}}[/tex]

and the limit of these sets exists if the limsup equals the liminf. This is indeed a much used defintion in measure theory and probability. But when talking about analysis, I would always specify it, since there are other possible definitions, such as

[tex]\lim_{n}{A_n}=\{\lim_n{a_n}~\vert~\forall n: a_n\in A_n \}[/tex]

Or the limit of some sets can also be the limit points of the filter generated by this sets,...

Pretty good with the laytex. That last limit looks like the limit of a_n equals the closure of A_n as n->infinity. It's an entirely different sequence of sets. Or at least you've added an additional restriction.

Well to bad this is one of the diseases of mathematics. Sometimes, everybody uses other definitions. And, like here, it's best to mention which definition is used...

I suppose it can only help you have greater clarity in the long run. It's just a little tedious.

What is the G-delta Set Theorem?

The G-delta Set Theorem is a mathematical theorem in set theory that states that every set that can be written as a countable intersection of open sets is a G-delta set, meaning it is the intersection of a countable collection of open sets.

Why is the G-delta Set Theorem important?

The G-delta Set Theorem is important because it allows for the study and classification of certain types of sets in mathematics. It also has applications in other areas such as topology and measure theory.

What is the proof of the G-delta Set Theorem?

The proof of the G-delta Set Theorem involves using the definition of a G-delta set and showing that it is equivalent to the countable intersection of open sets. This can be done using the properties of open sets and basic set theory.

What are some examples of G-delta sets?

Some examples of G-delta sets include the set of rational numbers, the set of real numbers, and the set of all continuous functions on a given interval. Basically, any set that can be written as a countable intersection of open sets is a G-delta set.

What are the implications of the G-delta Set Theorem in other areas of mathematics?

The G-delta Set Theorem has implications in other areas of mathematics, such as measure theory, topology, and functional analysis. It allows for the study and classification of different types of sets, which can be useful in solving various mathematical problems.