Why Do g Factors Vary Among Different Atoms?

In summary, last week, Rabi's paper "The Molecular Beam Resonance Method" discussed the concept of Rabi Oscillations and calculated the nuclear magnetic moments of Li (atomic mass 6), Li (atomic mass 7), and F (atomic mass 19) by measuring the g factor of each atom. The values for the g factor differed greatly, and this can be explained by the energy differences and angular momenta of each state. The g factor is not the same as the gyromagnetic ratio and is dependent on the transitions and angular momenta of the atom.
mimocs
Hi, last week I read Rabi's paper "The Molcular Beam Resonance Method".

This paper contains the basic idea of the oscillation which we call "Rabi Oscillation" as many of you guys know.

However, at the end of this paper, Rabi calculates nuclear magnetic moments of Li (atomic mass 6), Li (atomic mass 7), F (atomic mass 19) by measuring the g factor of the atoms above.

Here's my Question.
g factor for Li (atomic mass 6) is 0.820,
Li (atomic mass 7) is 2.167
F (atomic mass 19) is 5.243
These values differ greatly. Are there any logical reasons to explain the differences of g factor?
Or is it just an intrinsic property of each atoms (just like the spin of electron is 1/2)?

Have a nice day

Physics news on Phys.org
The g factor will depend on the energy differences of each state...so why not?

ChrisVer said:
The g factor will depend on the energy differences of each state...so why not?
I don't get it...
Isn't the g factor something very similar to gyromagnetic ratio?
And, I would like to know what you mean by 'energy differences of each state'.
Are you talking about the electric potential energy? Or is it something else?

It's part of a definition. In general the g-factor is given by the energy difference between the transitions and also the angular momenta: So because of that it also depends on the angular momenta, something that the gyromagnetic ratio doesn't...

Suppose that your atom has a total angular momentum [itex]F=I+J[/itex] where [itex]I[/itex] and [itex]J[/itex] the nuclear and electronic angular momenta respectively. The Hamiltonian is given by:
[itex]H= g~ I \cdot J = \frac{g}{2} [ F^2 - I^2 - J^2 ][/itex]
passing into energies ([itex]\hbar=1[/itex]):
[itex] E= \frac{g}{2} [ F(F+1) - I (I+1) - J (J+1) ] [/itex]

That's the energy for a given state. Now it depends... after some transition, the energy difference will be:: [itex]\Delta E[/itex]
and the [itex]g[/itex] will be that energy difference divided by some factor that comes from the angular momenta of those states...

geeeee...

Never knew something like that
Thanks a lot for your help

ChrisVer said:
It's part of a definition. In general the g-factor is given by the energy difference between the transitions and also the angular momenta: So because of that it also depends on the angular momenta, something that the gyromagnetic ratio doesn't...

Suppose that your atom has a total angular momentum [itex]F=I+J[/itex] where [itex]I[/itex] and [itex]J[/itex] the nuclear and electronic angular momenta respectively. The Hamiltonian is given by:
[itex]H= g~ I \cdot J = \frac{g}{2} [ F^2 - I^2 - J^2 ][/itex]
passing into energies ([itex]\hbar=1[/itex]):
[itex] E= \frac{g}{2} [ F(F+1) - I (I+1) - J (J+1) ] [/itex]

That's the energy for a given state. Now it depends... after some transition, the energy difference will be:: [itex]\Delta E[/itex]
and the [itex]g[/itex] will be that energy difference divided by some factor that comes from the angular momenta of those states...

1. What is the "G factor" of an atom?

The "G factor" is a physical property of an atom that measures how much the atom's magnetic moment differs from the value predicted by the Dirac equation. It is also known as the "gyromagnetic ratio".

2. How does the G factor vary among different atoms?

The G factor can vary significantly among different atoms. It is affected by factors such as the atomic number, nuclear spin, and electron configuration of the atom.

3. What is the relationship between the G factor and the magnetic moment of an atom?

The G factor and the magnetic moment of an atom are directly related. The G factor determines the magnitude of the magnetic moment, while the direction of the magnetic moment is determined by the spin of the atom's electrons.

4. What is the significance of the G factor in atomic physics?

The G factor is an important factor in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms. It is used to calculate the fine structure of atomic energy levels and is a critical component in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

5. Can the G factor be experimentally measured?

Yes, the G factor can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) and NMR spectroscopy. These experiments involve subjecting atoms to magnetic fields and measuring the resulting changes in energy levels and magnetic moments.