1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G-force and displacement

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    hi..just discovered this forum..very nice indeed..i was wondering if somebody could help me on something here..imagine that a car is traveling at 50km/h through a 90-degree right-hand turn..my question is is there any mathematical relation relating how much the g-force he encounters and the "displacement" of fuel in the fuel tank..or water that is half-full in a water bottle..tq..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it is a simple matter of drawing a triangle witht he two g-forces as two legs and computing the resulting angle.

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    so, the resulting angle is the angle at which the top surface of the water is tilted? what are the two g-forces? the ones acting on the car?

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Right. So, for example, if the lateral g-force on the car is .5, the angle is atan (.5/1)=26.6 degrees.

6. Mar 30, 2007 #5
    Neat, thanks Rus. Never thought of that. Simple and elegant.

7. Apr 2, 2007 #6
    wow..simple and complicated at the same time..i was also wondering if you any reference books in particular regarding this topic..i guess i need to catch up on my reading..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?