1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G-force measurement

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    Hello folks,

Does anyone know any formula about g-force measurement when launching into orbit? For example, 1 G at ground, 3-5 G during launching, 0 G at orbit.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi,
    I don't think there's a general formula. For example it could be say "500 G" for a little time (launching time) and then you could put the satellite into orbit.
    It could also be accelerated very slowly, so G wouldn't get higher than "2 G" during its trip from Earth's ground to Earth's orbit.
    But in any case you need to accelerate the satellite more than g (that is, around 9.8m/s^2).

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    One G equals to 9.8m/s2. You have 1 G at the surface of the Earth as well. So before launching, the g-force is 1 G (just like you and me have). At the launch, if the acceleration is ~20m/s2 so the astronauts bear about 3 G , and so on. In orbit, the g-force is almost zero and you have O G.

5. Mar 22, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Are you sure pixel, that if the acceleration is about 20m/s^2 then the astronauts bears 3 G?
    I wouldn't say so. For me it's about 2 G. Even if the force required to do so has to "cancel out" the "1 G" acceleration we feel on Earth's ground and then has to propulse the astronauts to an acceleration of 20 m/s^2.

6. Mar 22, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pixel is correct. Relative to a free-falling reference frame, that rocket is accelerating upward at about 30 m/s^2, not 20.

7. Mar 22, 2009 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok then I'm wrong.
    I get it now!

8. Mar 22, 2009 #7
    Hello folks,

I found equation for g-force when I searched through google. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force" [Broken] about equation of g-force for calculation.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook