1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G force question

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    Hello,

Im trying to calculate the amount of G force generated from a golfswing for example. Let's say the swing is carried out with an acceleration of 26rad/sec, and that it is perfectly circular ;)

Im using formula a = w^2 *r; If my armls add 40cm and I want to know the G force 6cm below my grip...

a = 26^2 * 0.23 = about 155, divided into 9.82 meters/sec = 16G ,

That sounds a bit high to me so I would like to know if I am doing something wrong here...

Br
    /Markus

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

From what you have given, the only thing I see wrong is that you used your arm distance plus 6 cm as a diameter and not a radius. I assume that you are considering your shoulder as the center of the circle.

Your angular velocity (not acceleration) of 26 rad/sec is moving pretty quickly. It's almost 250 rpm.

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    Aa that's right, so the correct value should be more something like 26^2*0.46 then... that's more like 30G,

I got the value 26rad/sec from some golfing website, it might be wrong, but the pro's can reach a speed of 100mph at the tip of the club, not sure how to convert that into rad/sec though.

/Markus

5. May 16, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It wouldn't be to tough to do an experiment to see how good your numbers are. A spring scale and a weight to mimic the club would do it.

30 G sounds a bit high, but not totally unreasonable.

6. May 16, 2007 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

100 mph = 160 km/h = 160*1000/3600 m/s = 45 m/s

Angular velocity = v/r where r is the total radius (length of arm + club). From the size of a normal person, r must be a bit less than 2m, say 1.8m

Angular velocity = 45/1.8 = 25 rad/sec.

So your numbers seem consistent.

The golfer doesn't actually feel the "G" value as an acceleration, he/she only feels the force. An acceleration of 30G on a 1Kg object gives a force of 30 Kgf. (I'm not a golfer but 1 Kg sounds too much for the mass of a golf club). A fit person can easily lift his/her body weight with his/her arms, so a 30 Kgf force seems quite reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?