AP Physics: Designing a Loop to Pull 4 G's

• Thread starter Daniel Abramow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Loop
In summary, the conversation is about designing a loop that can pull around 4 G's in an AP Physics class. The diameter of the loop must be 2/5 times the initial drop and the initial drop is assumed to be .305 meters, resulting in a velocity of 2.445 m/s at the bottom of the drop. The person is struggling to achieve the desired G forces and has found that a Clothoid loop may reduce G forces, but is unsure of the calculations. They also mention that the maximum G force is 4 and ask about the strength of the centripetal/centrifugal force.
Daniel Abramow

Homework Statement

In my AP Physics class we need to design a loop that pulls around 4 G's. From what I understand, the diameter of the loop must be 2/5 times the initial drop. I cannot seems to get the G forces around 4. Any help? I found that the Clothoid loop reduces G forces but I can't figure out the calculations. We can assume the initial drop is .305 meters. This drop yields a velocity at the bottom of the drop of 2.445 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Abramow said:
a loop that pulls around 4 G's
At maximum, minimum or average?
Daniel Abramow said:
I found that the Clothoid loop reduces G forces
No, I believe it minimises jerk, which is the rate of change of acceleration.

Well the maximum G force is 4

Daniel Abramow said:
Well the maximum G force is 4
So how strong is the centripetal/centrifugal force?

1. How can a loop be designed to pull 4 G's in AP Physics?

In order to design a loop that can pull 4 G's, the loop must have a radius of at least 10 meters and a height of at least 4 meters. Additionally, the loop must have a smooth transition into and out of the loop to prevent any abrupt changes in acceleration.

2. What is the maximum speed a car can reach in a 4 G's loop?

The maximum speed that a car can reach in a 4 G's loop depends on various factors such as the mass of the car, the radius and height of the loop, and the coefficient of friction between the car and the track. Generally, the higher the mass and the smaller the loop, the lower the maximum speed will be.

3. How does the angle of the loop affect the G-force experienced by a car?

The angle of the loop does not directly affect the G-force experienced by a car. The G-force experienced is determined by the radius and height of the loop and the car's speed. However, a steeper angle may require a higher initial speed to successfully complete the loop.

4. What are some safety precautions that should be taken when designing a loop for 4 G's?

When designing a loop for 4 G's, it is important to consider safety precautions such as ensuring the loop is structurally sound and can withstand the forces exerted on it, having proper restraints for passengers, and having emergency brakes in case the car loses speed or control during the loop.

5. Can a loop designed for 4 G's be used for higher G-forces?

The same loop designed for 4 G's can potentially be used for higher G-forces, but it is not recommended unless the loop is specifically designed and tested for those higher forces. The loop may need to be bigger or have different angles and transitions to safely handle higher G-forces.