Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G Gordon Liddy

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe this guy is still around.

http://www.liddyshow.us/

Tonight Tsu and I were watching a documentary about Watergate -Watergate: Legacy of Secrets - on Discovery Times. I saw this show once before but I had missed something that Liddy says during his interview. While head of the National re-elect Nixon campaign, at the Republican National Convention he had planned to kidnap some number of the protestors, presumably the leaders, drug them, take them to Mexico, and let them go. These are his words! Then they figured that the abductees would just think they had a bad [drug] trip.

He viewed the election as part of a greater civil war; where the laws were just “operatives”.

Edit: Almost forgot, it looks like we might get to hear the missing 18 minutes of Nixon's private tapes. Modern audio technology appears to make this possible.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2004 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

I used to listen to his show. His delerium was quite entertaining at times. He would alternate between bragging about his illegal activites and denying them. Does he still claim Nixon never did anything illegal?

Njorl

4. Apr 16, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think he made any direct comments about Nixon's role. What amazes me is that he is utterly blind to the fact that he [Liddy] is a crook - even anti-American in principle. He really believed that to kidnap and drug political protestors is to serve his country . This is precisely why I found and find this crowd to be so scary. When I sat and listened to the Iran-Contra hearings I realized that these guys will never change.

5. Apr 16, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard a stat in this show that I think is worth mentioning - especially for those too young to remember how big of deal this was. Before Watergate, about 2/3 of the US trusted its government. After Watergate, about 2/3 of the US did not trust their government. It was nothing like the joke called Monica-gate.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  6. Apr 16, 2004 #5
    Criminals always have a place in the right-wing media. Traitor Oliver North is pretty popular too.

7. Apr 17, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A patriot at heart; a traitor in fact.

I think that the distinction is that either a person is dedicated to the preservation of their idea of America, or some personal cause, or they are dedicated to the true essence of this country: Constitutional law.

8. Apr 17, 2004 #7
    lol. who enforces that? RW?

9. Apr 17, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

RW?

Care to elaborate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?