Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(g of f)(x)

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    Questoin...I have allways done these by evaluating (F 0f G)(x) ...then finding the domain of G and then useing a graphing calculator to find the domain of the whole thing as a function. My question is how do you algebracially fine the domain of the function after you find the domain of G int the case of (F of G)(X). If you can show me using an example where f=square root of x-2 and g= 2-square root(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2
    You can't find the domain of a function. It is usually given, implicitly or otherwise. Let h(x) = f(g(x)). What is the domain of h? What is the range? It should be obvious from the expression.

4. Jun 7, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

These types of exercises should usually be interpreted as "what is the maximal domain this function can have?"
    In the given exercise, we have:

[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x-2},g(x)=2-\sqrt{x}[/tex]

Hence, for f(g(x)), we need g(x)>=2

This means: [tex]2-\sqrt{x}\geq{2}\to\sqrt{x}<=0[/tex]

Hence, only a single x-value is eligible as the domain of f(g(x)), namely x=0,
    so that is the (maximal) domain.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. Jun 7, 2004 #4
    But this depends on whether f is defined on the reals. If the range of f is a subset of the complex numbers, then the 'maximal domain' is just the domain. This brings me back to my previous post.

6. Jun 7, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure enough, but these exercises rarely show up again once students have reached the level of learning about complex numbers..
    So, I stand by my answer as most probably correct :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?