Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G77 error

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I am trying to run some fortran code on Linux that was originally written (and worked) on Windows.

I am getting the following error:

invalid number: incomprehensible list input
    apparent state: unit 63 named NUCLEAR.DAT
    last format: list io
    lately reading sequential formatted external IO

I was in the process of changing a statement OPEN(100, FILE='NUCLEAR.DAT', STATUS='OLD') to OPEN(63, FILE='NUCLEAR.DAT', STATUS='OLD') since I know that g77 doesn't like numbers greater than 99 for unit numbers (as a default). Anyone know what this error means?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2
    < guess >
    Is the prgm reading any of the file or does it bomb at the open ? If it starts reading the file and bombs at the end you may have an invalid eof in the NUCLEAR.DAT file. Another thing it could be is case sensitivity. I've never seen the error and I port codes between pcs and various flavors of UNIX (including g77 and g95 on linux) routinely.
    < /guess >
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    I figured it out. The .dat file was created in Windows and it had virtual characters in it. I just had to run sed to get them out of it. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?