News G8Can anything top today?

UK Report, please add your thoughts from your continent's concerts?

What a DAY!..musically fantastic
I guess the only thing will be for the G8/9 leaders to comply!

Free Africa of Poverty and Trade inequality.

I have to say that Madonna was superb..her backing choir was pretty moving..Joss Stone again..superb.

no rap/r&b groups in canada's version =[

neurocomp2003 said:
Here in the UK we had Snoop Dogg..he was pretty cool live..Robbie Williams has just come on here..I will give a wider comment on all the Artists soon... :cool:

P.S can someone from Philly give an overview of the Artists and their performance's?..I would like to hear how Dave Mathews Band performed?

Last edited:
Spin_Network said:
UK Report, please add your thoughts from your continent's concerts?

What a DAY!..musically fantastic
I guess the only thing will be for the G8/9 leaders to comply!

Free Africa of Poverty and Trade inequality.

I have to say that Madonna was superb..her backing choir was pretty moving..Joss Stone again..superb.
Link for anyone to view:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4641999.stm

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Live8..Can anything top today?
Only if the problem of Global Poverty and Economic Inequality can be solved, and a sustained effort and liberty and justice for all can be maintained.

Entertainment is one thing - it's the hard work that follow that counts.

neurocomp2003 said:
I know! Wasn't it GREAT! :rofl:

Evo

Mentor
I didn't watch it, I hadn't even heard of it until someone here posted about it. I wouldn't have watched it anyway though, I don't care for watching bands on tv.

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Was there even a show on the west coast? I don't remember hearing about anything. All I've been listening to lately anyway is orchestral music from the late romantic period and the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
lol i love it. They did this to "raise awareness for poverty" yet every thread ive seen in every forum in every discussion has been about the music. Must have been some damn fine musicians for the cause to be overshadowed so much. I hear Jay-z performed so i assumed the music couldnt have been THAT good.

Evo

Mentor
That's what I've noticed from the threads here, it's a shame.

What also amazes me is how poorly they advertised this, at least here in the US, I had not seen anything about it on the tv, or news, including online news links. No one I have spoken to had even heard of it. Can you say FLOP?

I guess it was advertised in Europe?

Last edited:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Maybe it'll pick up next week to coincide with the summit. Hopefully the people at G8 will snap their fingers and make poverty disappear. :rolleyes:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
I guess it was advertised in Europe?

We've not been able to escape from it. It's been on every piece of news, every TV and radio station, and in every newspaper for the past few weeks. I was going to say I'm shocked that it hasn't made an impact there (Moonbear didn't know what I was on about either), but it really doesn't surprise me. I think Bush is trying to play it down anyway...

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Since when is Bush responsible for promoting a concert? Unless he coerced the FCC into outlawing radio and television ads to promote Live 8, how can this possibly be his fault? If people, including myself, never realized there was a concert until after the fact, that is the fault of the concert promoters.

Then again, I don't watch much TV and only watch movies on cable or sports when I do. I only listen to sports talk radio if I listen to radio at all, and I hardly even pay attention to the news anymore, except for what appears on the yahoo front page.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Because by law, your allowed to blame Bush for anything and everything under the sun without question.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
Because by law, your allowed to blame Bush for anything and everything under the sun without question.

Yup, by this reasoning I thought I'd post an entirely irrelevant comment in this thread, since it's what certain other people did in mine...! :tongue:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
brewnog said:
Yup, by this reasoning I thought I'd post an entirely irrelevant comment in this thread, since it's what certain other people did in mine...! :tongue:
hey hey, give me credit, dont just say 'certain other people' :wink:

G

GENIERE

Spin_Network said:
G8..Can anything top today?
I can supply a list of several thousand "toppers". Just a few minutes ago I lit off a firecracker; wow!

Pengwuino

Gold Member
GENIERE said:
I can supply a list of several thousand "toppers". Just a few minutes ago I lit off a firecracker; wow!
lol i guess everyone is firing off their firecrackers today adn not tomorrow. All i hear is explosions tonight.... but then again they probably arent fireworks :-/

G

GENIERE

Pengwuino said:
lol i guess everyone is firing off their firecrackers today adn not tomorrow.,,
Yeah! Talk about toppers, the kids and grandkids are all arriving tomorrow to celebrate the Forth with the $300.00 worth of fireworks my eldest bought the other day. I have my PVC potato cannon ready to go with an improved fuel atomizer, hotter spark (weed whacker spark plug and coil), and a longer barrel. A neighbor put on a really great show tonight with a dozen or two of mortor launched aerial displays.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I live in a street full of mormons so nothing really goes on around here :-/

G

GENIERE

Pengwuino said:
I live in a street full of mormons so nothing really goes on around here :-/
I knew CA was a strange place to live. Back east we drive our cars in the streets and live in homes. :smile:

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
hey hey, give me credit, dont just say 'certain other people' :wink:
:smile::smile:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
GENIERE said:
I knew CA was a strange place to live. Back east we drive our cars in the streets and live in homes. :smile:
What? isnt it illegal not to drive on the sidewalk? Guess things are different in CA :-/

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
loseyourname said:
Was there even a show on the west coast?
There was one venue in the US - Philadelphia.

There does seem to be a disconnect between Live8 and other programs.

The End of Poverty (in our time)?

I am not sure what Geldof and others have in mind. It is not clear that the project raised the consciousness of many people.

More than 26 million people worldwide sent text messages on Saturday in support of Live 8, setting a world record for a single event, organizers said. They had also expected up to two billion people to tune into the show worldwide.
Yeah, so what?!

There are many isolated projects such as

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/manzanar/default.htm

http://www.eden-foundation.org/project/

http://www.uneca.org/

For as much as the UN seems to be doing :rolleyes: there is much more that needs to be done.

A

Art

Astronuc said:
There was one venue in the US - Philadelphia.

There does seem to be a disconnect between Live8 and other programs.

The End of Poverty (in our time)?

I am not sure what Geldof and others have in mind. It is not clear that the project raised the consciousness of many people.
More than 26 million people worldwide sent text messages on Saturday in support of Live 8, setting a world record for a single event, organizers said. They had also expected up to two billion people to tune into the show worldwide.
Astronuc said:
Yeah, so what?!
There are 2 parts to the strategy; first is to raise the public's awareness of the problem with world poverty and the second is that these messages were collected as a petition to be handed into the G8 leaders at the summit in Edinburgh. The organisers are also trying to get 1 million protestors to march in Edinburgh during the summit to demonstrate to the political leaders that there is a demand from the general public to do all they can to eliminate poverty worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving