Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G8Can anything top today?

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1
    UK Report, please add your thoughts from your continent's concerts?

What a DAY!..musically fantastic
    I guess the only thing will be for the G8/9 leaders to comply!

Free Africa of Poverty and Trade inequality.

I have to say that Madonna was superb..her backing choir was pretty moving..Joss Stone again..superb.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2005 #2
    no rap/r&b groups in canada's version =[

4. Jul 2, 2005 #3
    Here in the UK we had Snoop Dogg..he was pretty cool live..Robbie Williams has just come on here..I will give a wider comment on all the Artists soon... :cool:

P.S can someone from Philly give an overview of the Artists and their performance's?..I would like to hear how Dave Mathews Band performed?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  5. Jul 2, 2005 #4
    Link for anyone to view:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4641999.stm

6. Jul 2, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Only if the problem of Global Poverty and Economic Inequality can be solved, and a sustained effort and liberty and justice for all can be maintained.

Entertainment is one thing - it's the hard work that follow that counts.

7. Jul 3, 2005 #6
    I know! Wasn't it GREAT! :rofl:

8. Jul 3, 2005 #7

Evo

I didn't watch it, I hadn't even heard of it until someone here posted about it. I wouldn't have watched it anyway though, I don't care for watching bands on tv.

9. Jul 3, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Was there even a show on the west coast? I don't remember hearing about anything. All I've been listening to lately anyway is orchestral music from the late romantic period and the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack.

10. Jul 3, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol i love it. They did this to "raise awareness for poverty" yet every thread ive seen in every forum in every discussion has been about the music. Must have been some damn fine musicians for the cause to be overshadowed so much. I hear Jay-z performed so i assumed the music couldnt have been THAT good.

11. Jul 3, 2005 #10

Evo

That's what I've noticed from the threads here, it's a shame.

What also amazes me is how poorly they advertised this, at least here in the US, I had not seen anything about it on the tv, or news, including online news links. No one I have spoken to had even heard of it. Can you say FLOP?

I guess it was advertised in Europe?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  12. Jul 3, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe it'll pick up next week to coincide with the summit. Hopefully the people at G8 will snap their fingers and make poverty disappear. :rolleyes:

13. Jul 3, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We've not been able to escape from it. It's been on every piece of news, every TV and radio station, and in every newspaper for the past few weeks. I was going to say I'm shocked that it hasn't made an impact there (Moonbear didn't know what I was on about either), but it really doesn't surprise me. I think Bush is trying to play it down anyway...

14. Jul 3, 2005 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Since when is Bush responsible for promoting a concert? Unless he coerced the FCC into outlawing radio and television ads to promote Live 8, how can this possibly be his fault? If people, including myself, never realized there was a concert until after the fact, that is the fault of the concert promoters.

Then again, I don't watch much TV and only watch movies on cable or sports when I do. I only listen to sports talk radio if I listen to radio at all, and I hardly even pay attention to the news anymore, except for what appears on the yahoo front page.

15. Jul 3, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Because by law, your allowed to blame Bush for anything and everything under the sun without question.

16. Jul 3, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, by this reasoning I thought I'd post an entirely irrelevant comment in this thread, since it's what certain other people did in mine...! :tongue:

17. Jul 3, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

hey hey, give me credit, dont just say 'certain other people' :wink:

18. Jul 3, 2005 #17

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I can supply a list of several thousand "toppers". Just a few minutes ago I lit off a firecracker; wow!

19. Jul 3, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol i guess everyone is firing off their firecrackers today adn not tomorrow. All i hear is explosions tonight.... but then again they probably arent fireworks :-/

20. Jul 4, 2005 #19

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Yeah! Talk about toppers, the kids and grandkids are all arriving tomorrow to celebrate the Forth with the $300.00 worth of fireworks my eldest bought the other day. I have my PVC potato cannon ready to go with an improved fuel atomizer, hotter spark (weed whacker spark plug and coil), and a longer barrel. A neighbor put on a really great show tonight with a dozen or two of mortor launched aerial displays.

21. Jul 4, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I live in a street full of mormons so nothing really goes on around here :-/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?