Which Binary is Needed for Installing G95 on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit?

• Thread starter natski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, a user named Natski is seeking help with installing g95 on Ubuntu 64-bit. They are unsure which binary to use and none of the options on the g95 website are specified for Ubuntu. Another user suggests using a specific binary for linux, but clarifies that it is rare for an app to be OS dependent.
natski
Hi all,

I am unsure which binary I need to use for the installation of g95 on Ubuntu 64-bit. None of the binaries on www.g95.org specify that they are for Ubuntu and as a newbie to Linux it is a mystery to me which one I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Natski

Computer science news on Phys.org
natski said:
Hi all,

I am unsure which binary I need to use for the installation of g95 on Ubuntu 64-bit. None of the binaries on www.g95.org specify that they are for Ubuntu and as a newbie to Linux it is a mystery to me which one I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Natski

It's very rare for a linux app to be specifically OS dependent. Just pick this http://ftp.g95.org/v0.91/g95-x86-linux.tgz

Hello Natski,

Thank you for reaching out. I can understand your confusion about which binary to use for installing g95 on Ubuntu 64-bit. Let me provide some guidance that may help you.

Firstly, it is important to note that Ubuntu 9.04 is quite an outdated version, and the g95 binaries available on www.g95.org may not be specifically designed for it. However, you can try downloading the "Linux x86_64" binary, as it should be compatible with 64-bit systems like yours.

If that does not work, you can try installing g95 using the terminal on Ubuntu. Open the terminal and type in the following command: "sudo apt-get install g95". This will install g95 from the Ubuntu repositories and should work for your system.

If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking help from the Ubuntu community or the g95 forum. They may have more specific instructions for installing g95 on Ubuntu 9.04.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your installation!

What is G95?

G95 is a free, open-source Fortran 95 compiler that is used to compile and run Fortran code on various operating systems.

How do I install G95 on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit?

To install G95 on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, you can use the command line and type "sudo apt-get install g95" or you can download the source code and compile it yourself.

Can G95 be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, G95 can be used for commercial purposes as it is released under the GNU General Public License.

Is G95 compatible with other operating systems?

Yes, G95 can be installed on various operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.

Can G95 compile code written in other programming languages?

No, G95 is specifically designed to compile Fortran 95 code and may not be compatible with other programming languages.