GaAs FET Troubleshooting: Assembly Not Working

• Thread starter Ravaner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fet
In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their HF system that has been working properly for a few weeks. They are unsure why the system stopped working and want to know how it is possible for all voltages to still be correct. They ask if posting a schematic would help and if the transistors are in the output that drives a 50 Ohm load. The last transistor drives 680R and the power output is less than µW. They are wondering why the voltages are still the same as before. Another speaker suggests checking for a shorted inductor, open capacitor, or faulty solder joint, cable, or connector.
Ravaner
Hello. I use 2 GaAs fet in a HF system. This assembly worked properly for several weeks and now doesn't work anymore. Before replacing these 2 transistors I would like to know how it is possible that all voltages ( drains & sources) are still correct, while the complete assembly stopped to work ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a schematic? Are they in the output that drives a 50 Ohm load? How much power were you pushing out to the load? Was the load ever disconnected?

Last transistor drives 680R and power "extracted" from this stage is probably les than µW. My question is why voltages are still the same as when this assembly was Ok.

I think we really need at least a partial schematic and part numbers to help you. Otherwise we would just be guessing.

Likes Averagesupernova
Well, a shorted inductor or open capacitor come to mind; and of course a faulty solder joint, cable or cable connector.
Just the usual suspects.

1. What could be causing my GaAs FET assembly to not work?

There could be several potential reasons for your GaAs FET assembly not working. Some common causes include incorrect wiring, faulty components, inadequate power supply, or improper biasing. It is important to carefully check all components and connections to identify the root cause of the issue.

2. How can I determine if a component in my GaAs FET assembly is faulty?

To determine if a component is faulty, you can use a multimeter to measure its resistance or voltage. If the values are significantly different from what is expected, then the component may be faulty. It is also helpful to have spare components on hand to swap out and test for functionality.

3. What is the proper way to bias a GaAs FET?

Biasing a GaAs FET involves applying a DC voltage to the device to establish the desired operating point. The specific biasing technique will depend on the type of GaAs FET and the circuit configuration. It is important to consult the device datasheet and follow the recommended biasing procedure for best results.

4. How do I troubleshoot if my GaAs FET is overheating?

If your GaAs FET is overheating, it could be a sign of a short circuit or a damaged component. Check all connections and components for any signs of damage or incorrect wiring. You may also need to adjust the biasing or decrease the input power to prevent overheating.

5. Can the layout of my circuit affect the performance of my GaAs FET assembly?

Yes, the layout of your circuit can have a significant impact on the performance of your GaAs FET assembly. It is important to minimize the length of high-frequency signal paths and ensure proper grounding and decoupling to reduce noise and interference. Following good layout practices can help optimize the performance of your assembly.