Analyzing GaAs Quantum Wells Emission Spectrum

• Thread starter Braggplane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the person is having difficulty with their analysis of a GaAs quantum wells emission spectrum and has created a program on excel to predict transitions. The heavy transitions match perfectly, but there are errors in the light transitions. They believe this is due to a warping in the light band and are looking for more information on this. They also mention that their program works with experimental data and that they have come to new conclusions recently. These include important warping in both heavy and light bands and a rupture of degeneration when confining the system in a quantum well.
Braggplane
Hi guys! i have some troubles with my analysis on a GaAs quantum wells emission spectrum! I made this program on excel capable of predict heavy and light transitions and expected heavy transitions are like perfectly matched, while there are about 20-30% of errors on light transitions.

My program works with experimental data of bulk GaAs band structure, so my explanation up to now is to suppose a warping on the light band with the transition to 3D to 2D behaviour capable of changing the effective mass and/or the gap, does anyone know something about? (the thicker the well, the bigger the error)

thank you very much!

I do come to new conclusions days ago! for everyone interested, the reason is in fundamentals of semiconductor

(there are important warping in both heavy and ligth bands and a rupture of degeneration when confining the system in a quantum well)

1. How is the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells analyzed?

The emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells is typically analyzed using photoluminescence spectroscopy, which involves shining a laser onto the sample and measuring the resulting emitted light.

2. What information can be obtained from analyzing the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells?

Analyzing the emission spectrum can provide information about the electronic and optical properties of the quantum wells, such as the bandgap energy, electron-hole recombination dynamics, and the presence of impurities or defects.

3. What factors can affect the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells?

The emission spectrum can be affected by factors such as the thickness and composition of the quantum wells, the temperature, and the presence of strain or external electric or magnetic fields.

4. How does the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells differ from bulk GaAs?

GaAs quantum wells have discrete energy levels due to quantum confinement effects, resulting in a narrower and more structured emission spectrum compared to the broad and continuous spectrum of bulk GaAs.

5. What applications can benefit from analyzing the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells?

The analysis of the emission spectrum of GaAs quantum wells is crucial in the development of optoelectronic devices, such as lasers, solar cells, and photodetectors. It is also useful in understanding the fundamental properties of quantum well systems for potential future applications in quantum computing and communication.