Gain of an Amplifier: Av & Gv Explained

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the designer of an amplifier describes two terms for gain - voltage gain (Av) and overall gain (Gv). Voltage gain is the ratio of the volts out over the volts in and overall gain is the gain in actual power, achieved.
Danish_Khatri
I am studying the design of an amplifier in common emitter configuration. I am studying from microelectronic circuits by sedra and smith. the author has described two terms for gain of a amplifier. one is the represented by Av and is called the voltage gain of that amplifier and the other is Gv called the overall gain of amplifier. I m not able to understand the difference between the two. can anybody help me out with this confusion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage gain just says what it says. It is the ratio of the volts out over the volts in.
'Overall gain' will be referring to the gain in actual Power, that is achieved. After all, a transformer can give you a voltage gain of 100, but the power transferred can't be greater than unity.
It's a matter of input impedance and output impedance. For instance, if you want to feed 100V into 50Ω you need 200W. To feed 100V into 1kΩ you only need 10W.

Dear I was not able to grasp on your answer. would you please explain it in terms of transistor itself

Depending on the edition that you have, in the fifth edition Sedra/Smith on page 463 the quantities G_v and A_v are clearly defined.

G_v is the ratio of v_out to the open voltage of the source generator (it's not the input voltage of the amplifier).

A_v is the ratio of v_out to the input voltage of the amplifier.

Last edited:
Danish_Khatri said:
Dear I was not able to grasp on your answer. would you please explain it in terms of transistor itself

A fair enough question but you need to realize that a transistor never operates in isolation. It is part of an amplifying circuit and it has no inherent Voltage Gain without being in a circuit - you actually state your question in the context of a common emitter circuit so you appreciate what I have just said.

Thanks for your help dear. I understood this concept when I repeated the paragraph.

1. What is the gain of an amplifier?

The gain of an amplifier refers to the ratio of the output voltage or current to the input voltage or current. It is a measure of how much the amplifier amplifies the input signal.

2. How is the gain of an amplifier calculated?

The gain of an amplifier is calculated by dividing the output voltage or current by the input voltage or current.

3. What is Av and Gv in the context of amplifier gain?

Av stands for "voltage gain" and is used to calculate the gain of an amplifier in terms of voltage. Gv stands for "voltage gain" and is used to calculate the gain of an amplifier in terms of current.

4. How is Av and Gv related to the overall gain of an amplifier?

Av and Gv are both components of the overall gain of an amplifier. Av represents the voltage gain and Gv represents the current gain. The overall gain is the combination of both voltage and current gain.

5. What is the difference between Av and Gv in terms of calculation?

The main difference between Av and Gv is that Av is calculated using voltage values while Gv is calculated using current values. Additionally, Av is typically expressed in decibels (dB) while Gv is expressed in units of "per unit" or "ratio" (e.g. 2:1).