Gain of the system of amplifiers

In summary, the conversation discussed a signal processing system and a rock band's music production. The overall gain of the signal processing system was calculated to be 17dB at a given frequency, and the audience would hear a range of frequencies from 50Hz to 14kHz from the amplified music. However, it was noted that something may be incorrect with the calculations for the rock band's music.
Tino
I need help with the two questions below please because i just don't understand it !1

Questions
1. A signal processing system consists of a preamplifier, an amplifier and a filter connected in series. At a given frequency the preamplifier and the amplifier have gains of 12 dB and 31 dB respectively, while the input and output voltages of the filter are 7.0 v and 0.35v respectively. Calculate the overall gain of the system at that frequency.

2. A rock band produces music with a bandwidth from 30Hz to 20kHz. If the music is amplified through a system with the following bandwidths what range of frequencies will be heard by the audience.

Microphones (10Hz to 12khz), Amplifiers (45Hz to 16kHz), Loudspeakers (50Hz to 14kHz).

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think i have cracked it !

1. voltage gain/loss = 20log V1/V2 = 20log (0.35/7) = - 26dB

And the overall gain is 12dB - 26dB + 31dB = 17dB

2. The audience would hear around 50Hz - 14kHz.

I don't know if my answers are corrected, if it isn't can u please corrected me .

:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

Tino said:
1. voltage gain/loss = 20log V1/V2 = 20log (0.35/7) = - 26dB

And the overall gain is 12dB - 26dB + 31dB = 17dB

2. The audience would hear around 50Hz - 14kHz.

I don't know if my answers are corrected, if it isn't can u please corrected me .

:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

#1 looks good to me. #2 does not. How is a 14kHz signal going to get to the speakers?

1. What is gain of a system of amplifiers?

Gain of a system of amplifiers refers to the measure of the increase in amplitude of an electrical signal as it passes through the system. It is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and is a crucial factor in determining the overall performance of the amplification system.

2. How is gain calculated for a system of amplifiers?

Gain is calculated by taking the ratio of the output signal amplitude to the input signal amplitude, and then converting it to decibels using the formula: Gain (dB) = 20 * log (output amplitude / input amplitude). This calculation takes into account the amplification of the system as well as any losses or distortions.

3. What factors affect the gain of a system of amplifiers?

The gain of a system of amplifiers can be affected by various factors such as the number and type of amplifiers in the system, the type of input signal, the frequency of the signal, and the quality of the components used. Other external factors like environmental conditions and interference can also impact the gain of the system.

4. How does gain impact the overall performance of a system of amplifiers?

Gain plays a critical role in determining the overall performance of a system of amplifiers. A higher gain can improve the signal-to-noise ratio, increase the output power, and provide better signal clarity. However, too much gain can lead to distortion and instability in the system. It is important to find a balance between gain and stability for optimal performance.

5. Can the gain of a system of amplifiers be adjusted?

Yes, the gain of a system of amplifiers can be adjusted using various methods such as changing the input signal level, adjusting the gain control on the amplifier, or using external devices like equalizers or attenuators. It is important to carefully adjust the gain to ensure the desired performance without causing any damage to the system or the equipment.