1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galactic distance equation

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    I'm currently working on my final year project, and one of the little bits to do is to see if certain data points fall within a circle with my own defined radius and central co-ordinates. I've been given the equation to use:

[tex]d = \frac{\sqrt{(l-l_{0})^2 + (b-b_{0})^2}}{r}[/tex]

where [tex]l_{0}[/tex] and [tex] b_{0}[/tex] are my central galactic co-ordinates, r is my radius (in degrees) and d is the distance the data point is from the central co-ordinates (also in degrees) - if d is less than 1, then the point is within my radius.

Although I don't need to, I'd just like to know where the equation comes from! I can see how the right hand side of the equals is a rearrangement of the equation of a circle, but I don't see how the distance is put in. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    I realised that it must be Pythagoras, as that's where the equation for a circle comes from, it was more the fact that - when rearranged from the equation - the hypotenuese would be [tex]r^2d^2[/tex]. Since it is normally just [tex]r^2[/tex], I wasn't sure if you were able to just put the distance ([tex]d^2[/tex]) in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?