1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galactic mass proportional to r

1. Dec 8, 2003 #1
    How do I calculate galactic mass as a function of r? I know it is supposed to be proportional to r. I've seen,
    M(r)=v2r/G
    And also I've seen
    M(r)=vrc2/G
    Which if any is right?
    And what do I use for v?
    Thanks so much for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2003 #2
    The rotation curve is flat so I can find v by plugging in the radius and total mass of the galaxy. Doing that I get,
    M(r)=Mr/R, where M is the total mass of the galaxy and R is the radius of the galaxy
    I'm trying to do a tidal force calculation to see how far away from the center of a galaxy a star needs to be to be tidally disrupted by a nearby galaxy. I'm getting
    r=(d3m/(2MR))1/2 where m is the total mass of the galaxy that the star lies in, R is the radius of that galaxy, M is the total mass of the nearby galaxy, and d is the distance between the two galactic centers. Can anyone verify this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?