Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galaxy Collision

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    I have heard that in about 3 billion years, the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy. I have also heard that they won`t actually collide, because the spacing in between the stars is so great. Instead, they will pass through one another with only a handful of stars colliding. Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2
    The shape of the galaxies will be deformed though. They won't be nice spirals anymore :cry: :tongue:

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

I believe their centers will eventually combine and the two galaxies will become one. They wont simply pass through each other and go their separate ways. Consider this simulation, notice how the galactic centers merge.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  5. Feb 11, 2007 #4
    And the black holes at the center of both galaxies (if they really do exist) will merge into a larger black hole. :biggrin:

6. Feb 12, 2007 #5
    Yes, the two galaxies will combine into one larger galaxy but there will be very few actual collisions between the stars. Eventually, they will reach an equilibrium and thus becoming a new, much larger galaxy.

7. Feb 12, 2007 #6

hellfire

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?