Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galaxy Wavelength (Milky Way)

Tags:
  1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    I am creating this wavelength chart (attached).

I was told to use Compton's formula; I got this:
    (6.626068 × (10^(-34))) / (1.1542e+42 * 299 792 458) = 1.91493535 × 10-84

Apparently, it is substantially off scale. I was then told to try de Broglie wave. Wikipedia only shows relations. I am learning the ropes here; I would like to see the process in how to derive a galaxy's (i.e. Milky Way) wavelength.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "wavelength"? Do you just mean size? Or are you asking about resonant frequencies or emitted radiation wavelength ranges?

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Milky Way does not have a 'wavelength'. It's radiation is spread across most of the EM spectrum. I believe you are thinking of the big bang - which does have a wavelength, so to speak - specifically accoustical wavelengths. This is a horse of a different color.

5. Aug 5, 2010 #4
    A galaxy = planets + gas + space debris = matter. Wikipedia had the Milky Way's mass so how would one derive the wavelength of a galaxy (attachment above) from a side view. Has this ever been calculated in science?

6. Aug 5, 2010 #5

russ_watters

What kind of wave are you asking about?

7. Aug 5, 2010 #6
    Electromagnetic. What wavelengths are you guys regarding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 5, 2010 #7

berkeman

The chart in your original post (OP) appears to show the relative sizes (in meters) of objects, and has little to do with a "wavelength". You can look up the diameter of the Milky Way Galaxy, and fill that into the chart.

9. Aug 5, 2010 #8
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way" [Broken]

This is disturbingly intriguing. Wiki states the diameter and the thickness, but that cannot be it, could it? Is not a electromagnetic, wavelength measurement from "crest to crest?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook