1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galilean and Lorentz invariant

1. Oct 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Professor C. Rank claims that a charge at [itex](r_1, t_1) [/itex] will contribute to the air pressure
    at [itex](r_2, t_2) [/itex] by an amount [itex] B \sin[C(|r_2 − r_1|^2− c^2|t_2 − t_1|^2)] [/itex], where B and C are constants.
    (A) Is this effect Galilean invariant?
    (B) Is this effect Lorentz invariant?

2. Relevant equations
    Galilean transformation:
    [itex]x'=x-vt, t'=t[/itex]
    Lorentz transformation:
    [itex]'x=\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}, t'=\frac{t-\frac{tv}{c}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    (A) I suppose that part with [itex]t_2,t_1[/itex] is not important for Galilean transformation it is same. And if I transform [itex] r_1, r_2[/itex] to [itex]r'_1=r_1-vt, r'_2=r_2-vt[/itex] the extra terms are deducated.
    So it is Galilean invariant? True?
    (B) In Lorentz case I have problem with times. Could you suggest some point of view?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Galilean part is correct.
    Your problem with times in the Lorentz case may have something to do with the incorrect expression for ##t'## that you have posted.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    Ehm no :) Sorry it just typo :) Ok the reason why I'm dealing with such easy things is that I have results that claim opposite than me. Check attached file. Is there mistake or I'm wrong?

Attached Files:

5. Oct 20, 2016 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see no mistake in the file that you attached.
    Can you post exactly what you did and what kind of problem you have with time?

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5
    You didn't? I claimed that this is Galilean invariant and you agree. In this file is an answer NO. So what I'm missing? And for Lorentzian there is an answer YES. I mean it is reversely.

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6
    I intuitively mean, that it is not Lorentz invariant. But if I would like to do it carefully I would I put there the transformed terms. And I'm not sure if the time which appears in r_1 and r_2 transformation is same or what should be there.
    [tex] r'_1=\frac{r_1-vT_1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c}})^2} [/tex]
    [tex] r'_2=\frac{r_2-vT_2}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c}})^2} [/tex]
    My question is if [itex]T_1==T_2[/itex]? But if I think about that now...[itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex] are in same system so if something move with respect to one it moves same in respect to second so times should be same. Am I right? And in this file it is wrong. Do you agree?

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry for confusing you. I read the question rather hastily. No, the expression is not Galilean invariant. Did you actually calculate ##|{r'}_2^2-{r'}_1^2|## under the Galilean transformation? If so, what did you get?
    For the Lorentz part you don't even need to do that. The sine function can be thought of representing a traveling wave. What is the speed of that wave?

On edit: In view of @vela's comment below, I meant ## \lvert \vec{r}'_2 - \vec{r}'_1 \rvert^2 ##.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. Oct 21, 2016 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The problem involves ##\lvert \vec{r}_2 - \vec{r}_1 \rvert^2##, not ##|{r'}_2^2-{r'}_1^2|##. It looks invariant under a Galilean transformation to me since it depends on the spatial distance between the two points.

10. Oct 21, 2016 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you can't assume ##T_1 = T_2##. As measured in the S frame, event 1 occurs in space at ##\vec{r}_1## at time ##T_1##, and event 2 occurs in space at ##\vec{r}_2## at time ##T_2##. There's no reason to assume the events are simultaneous.

By the way, you should find that the expression is Lorentz invariant.

11. Oct 21, 2016 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I interpreted "Galilean invariant" to mean that
    ##\sin \left[ C \left( | \vec{r}'_2-{\vec{r}'}_1|^2-c^2|{t'}_2-{t'}_1|^2\right) \right]=\sin \left[ C \left( | (\vec{r}_2-\vec{r}_1|^2-c^2|{t}_2-{t}_1|^2 \right) \right] ##
    under the Galilean transformation, ##\vec{r}'=\vec{r}-\vec{v}~t;~~t'=t##. Was I wrong (again)?

12. Oct 21, 2016 #11
    I understand, Even if in S system ##t_1=t_2## in S' ##t'_1=t'_2## may not be true.

13. Oct 21, 2016 #12
    So for Galilean transformation:
    ##r'_1=r_1-vt, r'_2=r_2-vt, t'_1=t_1, t'_2=t_2## => ##(r_1-r_2)=(r'_1+vt -r'_2-vt)=(r'_1-r'_2)## and ##(t_1-t_2)=(t'_1-t'_2)##. Am I right? And from this it has to be Galilean invariant. Do you agree?

14. Oct 21, 2016 #13
    For Lorentz transformation:
    I'm not rewriting the rules again.
    ##(r_1-r_2)=\gamma (r'_1+v t'_1-r'_2-v t'_2) ## and ##(t_1-t_2)=\gamma (t'_1+\frac{r'_1 v}{c}-t'_2 - \frac{r'_2 v}{c}) ## where ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}## and ##v## is velocity between S and S'. From this I suppose it isn't Lorentz invariant.

15. Oct 21, 2016 #14

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that's what I took it to mean as well, but I see the mistake I made. I agree with the provided answer it's not invariant under a Galilean transformation, which makes makes me feel better now.

16. Oct 21, 2016 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Think about what value of ##t## you're referring to when you say ##r \to r' = r-vt##.

17. Oct 21, 2016 #16
    Ha :) That's the reason why I wrote I have problem with meaning of times. Now I probably understand...now recompute it. ##t## is in such transformation difference between the time when the systems met each other and time of measurement. True?

18. Oct 21, 2016 #17
    So Galilean (again):
    ##(r_1−r_2)=(r′_1+v dt_1−r′_2−v dt_2)## , ##dt_1\neq dt_2## because ##r_1## and ##r_2## has generaly different position so met S' system in diferent time. So it is not Galilean invarinat. Do you agree with my explanation?

19. Oct 21, 2016 #18

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Me too.

20. Oct 22, 2016 #19
    Is my ##dt## definition right? I'm struggling with Lorentz invariant. There is many terms but I can't see any connection among them.

21. Oct 22, 2016 #20

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not what you are asked to find if it is Galilean invariant. Start with
    ## \vec{r}'_1=\vec{r}_1-\vec{v}~t_1##, ## \vec{r}'_2=\vec{r}_2-\vec{v}~t_2##, ##t'_1=t_1## and ##t'_2=t_2##.
    Then note that ## | \vec{r}'_2-{\vec{r}'}_1|^2-c^2|{t'}_2-{t'}_1|^2= (\vec{r}'_2-\vec{r}'_1) \cdot (\vec{r}'_2-\vec{r}'_1)-c^2|{t'}_2-{t'}_1|^2##
    Then replace the primed quantities on the right hand side with unprimed ones as given by the Galilean transformation and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted