Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities

In summary, the conversation involved finding the angle of a motorist's velocity with respect to the line of sight of a police car. At first, there was confusion about what was meant by "line of sight" but it was clarified to be the direction in which the police car was moving. The final answer was 15°, but there was some discussion about signs and drawing diagrams to accurately represent the angles. The conversation ended with the expert suggesting to draw the line of sight and the velocity vector on the same diagram to find the angle between them.
user5
May you help me with finding the angle, and what is "line of sight"?(the final answer is 15°)
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 11111.PNG
    11111.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
user5 said:
May you help me with finding the angle, and what is "line of sight"?
By "line of sight" they mean the direction in which the police car is moving. (Where they would be looking straight ahead.) So imagine an axis extending forward from the police car.

To find the angle, figure out the velocity of the motorist in the frame of the police car.

Likes 1 person
I get -39°...not 15°...

Last edited:
user5 said:
I get -39°...not 15°...
Show how you got that.

α=arctan(-62/76)

user5 said:
α=arctan(-62/76)
Ah, I was wrong about what they meant by "line of sight". Line of sight is the line directed from the police car to the motorist. Find the angle with respect to that line and you'll get the answer given.

Likes 1 person
I'm confused, now I got -54° and what does the minus sign mean in that situation, may you give some more details about the solution...

user5 said:
I'm confused, now I got -54° and what does the minus sign mean in that situation, may you give some more details about the solution...
Don't worry about signs. Instead, draw yourself a picture. Show the line of sight (which is based on distances) and then add the direction of the velocity, which you already found. Find the angle between those two.

Likes 1 person
Are signs meaningless?

user5 said:
Are signs meaningless?
No, but rather than rely on the mechanical use of a formula you would be better off simply drawing the relevant angles. Then you wouldn't have questions about signs.

Likes 1 person
I have drawn the angles but how are they related

Attachments

• 321.PNG
    321.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 389
user5 said:
I have drawn the angles but how are they related
The first diagram is drawn correctly: The hypotenuse represents the line of sight.

The second diagram needs to be redrawn to represent the sum of those velocity vectors. That vector will represent the relative velocity.

76 need to be reversed ...How do those drawings show me that I need to subtract those angles?

Last edited:
user5 said:
76 need to be reversed ...How do those drawings show me that I need to subtract those angles?
When adding vectors graphically you must have the tail of one start at the head of the other.

You want the angle that the velocity makes with the line of sight. Draw them both on the same diagram and find the angle between them.

Likes 1 person
But they have different dimensions...and why to subtract?

Attachments

• 123321.PNG
    123321.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
user5 said:
But they have different dimensions...and why to subtract?
(1) We are just comparing directions; dimensions are irrelevant.
(2) Your diagram is still not right. You want: tail - head - tail - head. You have: head - tail - tail - head.
(3) Find the angle each direction vector makes with the horizontal; then you can find the angle they make with each other by subtracting.

Likes 1 person
Do I need to rotate the triangle of velocity? The angle in this case -15°, is that right?
I'm grateful to you for your help!

Attachments

• 111.PNG
    111.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 324
user5 said:
Do I need to rotate the triangle of velocity?
It's not a question of rotating the triangle, but drawing it correctly. Note that the velocity vector will point towards the police car.

The angle in this case -15°, is that right?
Yes, but don't worry about the minus sign. I'm sure they just want the magnitude.

I'm grateful to you for your help!
You are most welcome.

Likes 1 person
Sorry for asking again...Do you mean that velocity vector of 76 points toward the police while motorist have a velocity vector towards him of 62?

Last edited:
user5 said:
Sorry for asking again...Do mean that velocity vector of 76 points toward the police while motorist have a velocity vector towards him of 62?
The velocity vector of the motorist with respect to the Police will point somewhat towards the Police. Not exactly of course--it will make an angle of 15° to the line of sight. In your diagram in post #17 the red arrow, which I presume represents the velocity of the motorist with respect to the police, points in the wrong direction.

Likes 1 person
Are the diagrams placed correctly, and then make use of alternating angles?

Attachments

• 654.PNG
    654.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 381
user5 said:
Are the diagrams placed correctly, and then make use of alternating angles?
It's hard to say from your diagram, but I think you have the correct angles for the line of sight and for the velocity.

To see what's going on, do this. On the original diagram, the one that described the problem, draw a line from motorist to police. That's the line of sight. You already figured out the angle it makes with the horizontal.

Then, on that same diagram, draw the velocity vector (the velocity of the motorist relative to the police) emanating from the position of the motorist. You have already figured out the angle that that vector makes with the horizontal.

Then you'll be able to figure out the angle between those two lines, using a bit of geometry.

1. What is the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities?

The Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities is a principle in classical mechanics that describes how velocities are transformed between two frames of reference that are moving at constant speeds relative to each other.

2. How does the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities differ from the relativistic form?

The Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities is based on classical mechanics and assumes that time and space are absolute. In contrast, the relativistic form takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. What is the significance of the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities?

The Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities is important in classical mechanics as it allows us to predict the motion of objects in different frames of reference. This is useful in many practical applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a car.

4. Can the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities be applied to all situations?

No, the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities is only applicable in situations where the relative speeds between the frames of reference are much smaller than the speed of light. In cases where this is not true, the relativistic form of the law must be used instead.

5. How does the Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities relate to other principles in classical mechanics?

The Galilean form of the law of transformation of velocities is closely related to the principle of inertia and the principle of relativity, both of which are fundamental principles in classical mechanics. These principles all work together to explain the motion of objects in different frames of reference.