1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galilean Relativity Question

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I came across this problem in a worksheet and I am completely lost as to where to start; can someone help? The question is:

Two trains are heading at the same speed, relative to the Earth, in opposite directions. A bomb explodes on each train, but not at the same times. An observer on train A says that the x-coordinate of bomb A was twice that of bomb B. An observer on train B, using the same origin and orientation, says that the x-coordinate of bomb B was twice that of bomb A. However, they agree on the time coordinates: bomb A's time coordinate was twice that of bomb B's. What are the x-coordinates of the bombs' explosions as measured by train B?

2. Relevant equations
    x=x'-vt?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no clue where to start; this problem doesn't make sense to me and I need some help to actually start this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously, the first step is to translate the given statements into mathematical statements. This involves choosing a notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted