Galileo’s law of falling bodies ?

In summary, the conversation discusses Galileo's law of falling bodies and the process of deriving it through mathematics. Suggestions are given for further reading, including Galileo's original paper titled "falling bodies." The availability of this paper may be found in a university library.
< Ali >
Galileo’s law of falling bodies ??

hi everybody,

I want to know about the mathematics of deriving this laws. or in another word I want to know how did he find it..

Ali

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe these help:

http://employees.csbsju.edu/cgearhart/Courses/Honors210/Labs/GALPLANE.pdf
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~physics/labs/p1/lab1.pdf
http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/gradconf/2003gradconf/Selected_papers(PROGRAM2)/thought_expirements.pdf

You could try to fing Galileos original paper called "falling bodies". I found it fascinating to read, especially knowing it was written hundreds of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot da willem

but where can I find this paper "falling bodies" ?

Maybe you can find it in a (university-)library. I read it in abook called 'The world of physics' a collection of papers from famous physicists.

1. What is Galileo's law of falling bodies?

Galileo's law of falling bodies states that all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum when under the influence of gravity. This means that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How did Galileo come up with this law?

Galileo conducted experiments by dropping objects of different masses from the Leaning Tower of Pisa and observed that they all fell at the same rate. He also used inclined planes to measure the acceleration of objects rolling down at different angles. From these experiments, he concluded that the mass of an object does not affect its rate of falling.

3. Is Galileo's law of falling bodies still valid today?

Yes, Galileo's law of falling bodies is still valid today. It has been confirmed by countless experiments and is a fundamental principle in the study of mechanics and gravity.

4. Are there any exceptions to this law?

In a vacuum, Galileo's law of falling bodies holds true. However, in real-world situations, air resistance can affect the rate at which objects fall. This is why feathers and other light objects appear to fall slower than heavier objects, as they experience more air resistance.

5. How is Galileo's law of falling bodies related to Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Galileo's law of falling bodies is a special case of Newton's law of universal gravitation. Newton's law not only describes the acceleration of falling objects on Earth, but also the attraction between any two objects with mass. Galileo's law can be derived from Newton's law by considering an object falling towards the surface of the Earth as being attracted by its mass.