1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gallium Arsenide

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I hope someone can assist me in explaining some characteristics of Gallium Arsenid.
    I am currently looking at optical temperature sensors and see that Gallium Arsenide is used as a temperature sensitive material and after researching some of this on te web i have a few questions.
    I have found out that the reason gallium arsenide is used is because it is a semiconductor with a direct band gap. The band gap is temperature sensitive in that it changes due to changes with temperature.Thus due to the change in the band gap with temperature there is a change of the absorption edge of GaAs as in it is transparent up to a certain point dependant on its band gap and then past this wavelength the light is absorbed. As i said this absorption ege shifts due to increased temperature and thus this phenomenon can be measured optically.

However this is just the basics and i cannot seem to find anymore information on it. Such as is it a pure undoped gallium arsenide crystal or chip used or a doped GaAs chip and if so is it n or p type doped, or is it an alloyed GaAs chip such as Alluminium gallium arsenide and if so what is the alooy ratio????

Also there is a question of what size of a crystal is needed and how the band gap can be calculated to get a certain temperature range for the GaAs semiconductor crystal which i would like to know.

If anyone can answer my questions and also recomend some good literature related to gallium arsenide and optical temperature sensing i would be appreciated.
    Sincerely
    Nano241

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted