1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galois correspondence

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i) Find the order and structure of the Galois Group [itex]K:Q[/itex] where
    [itex] K = Q(\alpha) [/itex] and

[itex] \alpha = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}[/itex].

ii)Then for each subgroup of [itex]Gal (K:Q)[/itex], find the corresponding subfield through the Galois correspondence.

2. Relevant equations

I get the minimal polynomial to be [itex] f(x): x^4 -4x^2 + 2[/itex] and the four roots of [itex] f(x)[/itex] are [itex] \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} , -\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}, \sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}}, -\sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

I'm told [itex]K:Q[/itex] is normal

3. The attempt at a solution

I get the order of [itex]Gal (K:Q)[/itex] to be 4 with

[itex] Gal (K:Q) = \{ Id, \sigma, \tau, \sigma \tau \} [/itex] where

[itex] \sigma(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow -\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

[itex] \tau(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow \sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

and

[itex]\sigma \tau (\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow -\sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

I get stuck with the 2nd part though. I get the proper subgroups [itex] \{Id, \sigma \} \{Id, \tau\} \{ Id, \sigma \tau \} [/itex] but I don't see how to find the corresponding subfields.

Through the Galois correspondence, there's a bijective map between the subfields of K and the subgroups of [itex] Gal(K:Q)[/itex]. So there'd have to be 3 different subfields. I know these fields have to be generated by the fixed points for each map.

I'd appreciate any help on what the subfields are.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you know how to find fixed points of any linear transformation, don't you? They're eigenvectors with eigenvalue 1.

Alternatively... finding 1 fixed point is easy. You know [itex]\alpha[/itex] isn't fixed by, say, [itex]\sigma[/itex]. But can you arrange for

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + stuff = [itex]\sigma(\alpha)[/itex] + other stuff?

(Just to be clear, you should not be solving any equations with this approach)

I don't know if this automatically gives you a generator, though. You'll have to prove that this is a generator through some other means.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    Sorry, I don't understand this.

Is finding the fixed point of [itex] \sigma (\alpha)[/itex] something to do with the sign in between the [itex]2 [/itex] and [itex] \sqrt{2}[/itex] not changing?

5. Jan 10, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(I will use s for sigma, and a for alpha) You want to find "something" such that

something = s(something).

Well, what might appear in "something"? a might. So, we try it out:

a + other stuff = s(a + other stuff) = s(a) + s(other stuff).

Doesn't that suggest what might appear in "other stuff"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?