Galois Correspondence for Subfields of K:Q

• Thread starter ElDavidas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the order and structure of the Galois Group K:Q, where K = Q(\alpha) and \alpha = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}. Through the Galois correspondence, there is a bijective map between the subfields of K and the subgroups of Gal(K:Q), leading to the discovery of 3 different subfields. The conversation also mentions finding fixed points for each linear transformation and arranging for \alpha + stuff = \sigma(\alpha) + other stuff, possibly giving a generator for the subfields.
ElDavidas

Homework Statement

i) Find the order and structure of the Galois Group [itex]K:Q[/itex] where
[itex] K = Q(\alpha) [/itex] and

[itex] \alpha = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}[/itex].

ii)Then for each subgroup of [itex]Gal (K:Q)[/itex], find the corresponding subfield through the Galois correspondence.

Homework Equations

I get the minimal polynomial to be [itex] f(x): x^4 -4x^2 + 2[/itex] and the four roots of [itex] f(x)[/itex] are [itex] \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} , -\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}, \sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}}, -\sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

I'm told [itex]K:Q[/itex] is normal

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the order of [itex]Gal (K:Q)[/itex] to be 4 with

[itex] Gal (K:Q) = \{ Id, \sigma, \tau, \sigma \tau \} [/itex] where

[itex] \sigma(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow -\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

[itex] \tau(\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow \sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

and

[itex]\sigma \tau (\sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}} ) \rightarrow -\sqrt{2 - \sqrt{2}} [/itex]

I get stuck with the 2nd part though. I get the proper subgroups [itex] \{Id, \sigma \} \{Id, \tau\} \{ Id, \sigma \tau \} [/itex] but I don't see how to find the corresponding subfields.

Through the Galois correspondence, there's a bijective map between the subfields of K and the subgroups of [itex] Gal(K:Q)[/itex]. So there'd have to be 3 different subfields. I know these fields have to be generated by the fixed points for each map.

I'd appreciate any help on what the subfields are.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know how to find fixed points of any linear transformation, don't you? They're eigenvectors with eigenvalue 1.

Alternatively... finding 1 fixed point is easy. You know [itex]\alpha[/itex] isn't fixed by, say, [itex]\sigma[/itex]. But can you arrange for

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + stuff = [itex]\sigma(\alpha)[/itex] + other stuff?

(Just to be clear, you should not be solving any equations with this approach)

I don't know if this automatically gives you a generator, though. You'll have to prove that this is a generator through some other means.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
You know [itex]\alpha[/itex] isn't fixed by, say, [itex]\sigma[/itex]. But can you arrange for

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + stuff = [itex]\sigma(\alpha)[/itex] + other stuff?

Sorry, I don't understand this.

Is finding the fixed point of [itex] \sigma (\alpha)[/itex] something to do with the sign in between the [itex]2 [/itex] and [itex] \sqrt{2}[/itex] not changing?

(I will use s for sigma, and a for alpha) You want to find "something" such that

something = s(something).

Well, what might appear in "something"? a might. So, we try it out:

a + other stuff = s(a + other stuff) = s(a) + s(other stuff).

Doesn't that suggest what might appear in "other stuff"?

1. What is Galois correspondence?

Galois correspondence is a mathematical concept developed by Évariste Galois that describes the relationship between a field extension and a set of intermediate fields. It is a one-to-one correspondence that preserves the structure of the fields involved.

2. What is the significance of Galois correspondence?

Galois correspondence is significant because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of field extensions by studying the relationships between intermediate fields. It also has applications in group theory and algebraic geometry.

3. How does Galois correspondence work?

Galois correspondence works by pairing an intermediate field with its corresponding subgroup of automorphisms that leave that field fixed. This correspondence is bijective, meaning each intermediate field has a unique corresponding subgroup and vice versa.

4. What are some examples of Galois correspondence?

One example of Galois correspondence is in the field extension of real numbers to complex numbers. The intermediate fields in this case are the real numbers and the complex numbers, and their corresponding subgroups are the identity and the group of complex conjugation, respectively.

Another example is in the field extension of rational numbers to algebraic numbers, where the intermediate fields are the rational numbers and the algebraic numbers, and their corresponding subgroups are the identity and the group of automorphisms that preserve the algebraic numbers, respectively.

5. What are the practical applications of Galois correspondence?

Galois correspondence has practical applications in cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. It also has implications in the study of polynomial equations and their roots, as well as in understanding the structure of finite fields.