Galvanic Cell Reactions and Potential Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for help with solving a problem involving an Al/Fe galvanic cell. They predict the anode, cathode, and overall cell reactions, calculate the overall cell potential, and describe the direction of ion and electron flow in the cell. They also clarify the role of 6 electrons in the reaction and mention that electrons flow from the anode to the cathode through a conducting wire, while ions flow through the solution and salt bridge.
johnk
Hey guys! I'm not sure if I solved this correctly. If you could please take a look at my answers I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

(I tried using the super subscript option but I started to confuse myself because of all the coding so I just stuck with the up arrow (^) I hope you guys don't mind too much) Thanks again

Homework Statement

The following figure shows a diagram of an Al/Fe galvanic cell. Use the diagram to
answer the questions that follow it.

25zo5ls.png

a) Predict the anode, cathode, and overall cell reactions that occur as this cell operates.
b) Predict the overall cell potential.
c) Describe the direction of ion and electron flow in the diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
• Fe = Cathode
• Al = Anode
• Al(s) => Al^3+(aq) + 3e^- Fe^2+(aq) + 2e^- => Fe(s)
2(Al => Al^3+ + 3e^-
3(Fe^2+ + 2e^- => Fe)
=2Al + 3Fe^2+ + 6e^- => 2Al^3+ + 6e^- + 3Fe
=2Al + 3Fe^2+ => 2Al^3+ + 3Fe

b)
Al(s) => Al^3+(aq) + 3e^- E=1.66
Fe^2+(aq) + 2e^- => Fe(s) E=-0.41
Overall E= 1.25

c) In an operating galvanic cell, electrons flow through the conducting wire, while ions flow through the solution and salt bridge.

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't see the picture, but I guess this is right

johnk said:
a)
=2Al + 3Fe^2+ + 6e^- => 2Al^3+ + 6e^- + 3Fe
What is the 6e- for?
The reaction goes like this: 2Al => 2Al3+ + 6e-
then 3Fe2+ + 6e- => 3Fe

johnk said:
c) In an operating galvanic cell, electrons flow through the conducting wire, while ions flow through the solution and salt bridge.
Umm... you forgot to mention the direction of the flow of the electrons and ions. :biggrin:
The electrons flow from the cathode(+) to the anode(-). The positive salt ions go to the anode(-) and the negative to the cathode(+)

z.js said:
The electrons flow from the cathode(+) to the anode(-).

You sure? Seems they'd be going "uphill" so to speak.

Really? Don't the electrons come from the anode? (I mean... oops sorry:redface:)

z.js said:
I couldn't see the picture, but I guess this is right

What is the 6e- for?
The reaction goes like this: 2Al => 2Al3+ + 6e-
then 3Fe2+ + 6e- => 3Fe

Umm... you forgot to mention the direction of the flow of the electrons and ions. :biggrin:
The electrons flow from the anode(-) to the cathode(+). The positive salt ions go to the anode(-) and the negative to the cathode(+)

Yep that's right! thanks a lot!:biggrin:

1. What is a galvanic cell?

A galvanic cell, also known as a voltaic cell, is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It consists of two half-cells, each containing an electrode and an electrolyte solution, connected by a salt bridge.

2. How does a galvanic cell work?

A galvanic cell works by harnessing the potential difference between two different metals in contact with an electrolyte solution. The two half-cells are connected by a wire, allowing the flow of electrons from the anode (negative electrode) to the cathode (positive electrode) through an external circuit. This flow of electrons produces an electrical current.

3. What is the purpose of a salt bridge in a galvanic cell?

A salt bridge is a U-shaped tube filled with an electrolyte solution that connects the two half-cells of a galvanic cell. Its purpose is to maintain electrical neutrality in the half-cells by allowing ions to flow between the two solutions, preventing a buildup of charge that would stop the cell from functioning.

4. How is the voltage of a galvanic cell determined?

The voltage of a galvanic cell is determined by the difference in electrode potentials between the two half-cells. This potential difference, also known as the cell potential, is measured in volts and can be calculated using the Nernst equation. The higher the difference in electrode potentials, the higher the voltage of the cell.

5. What are some applications of galvanic cells?

Galvanic cells have many practical applications, including use in batteries for electronic devices, power sources for portable devices, and backup power systems. They are also used in electroplating processes, fuel cells for vehicles, and in biological systems such as nerve cells and muscles.