Help Solving a Puzzling Galvanic Cell Experiment!

In summary, the conversation was about an experiment involving a galvanic cell with half cell zinc and its solution, and the other half cell with iron and its solution. The measured potential was 0.287V, which is different from the expected potential of 1.53V based on the standard potential of Fe+3 and Zink. The speaker is seeking help in understanding their results.
supercali
iwe had an expirament that goes like this
we made a galvanic cell with half cell zinc and its solution (Zn(NO3)2) and the other half cell was with iron and its solution (Fe(NO3)3) (the Fe solution with ions Fe+3) (both same concentration!) the potential i measured was 0.287V
now i just don't understand how can this be
because the standard potential of Fe+3 + e -> Fe+2 is 0.77V and for Zink it is -0.76V thus we should get in the experiment that the measured potential is 1.53V i just can't understand my result
help please

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't get different answer here than the one I have posted on chemical forums.

Based on the information provided, it seems that the measured potential of 0.287V is lower than what is expected based on the standard potentials of the individual half reactions. This could be due to a number of factors, such as experimental error, incorrect concentrations of the solutions, or the presence of impurities in the solutions.

To better understand the results, it would be helpful to review the experimental procedure and make sure all steps were followed correctly. It may also be beneficial to repeat the experiment with different concentrations of the solutions to see if the results are consistent.

Additionally, it is important to consider the overall reaction taking place in the galvanic cell. The measured potential is a result of the combined reactions occurring at the anode (zinc) and cathode (iron). It is possible that the overall reaction is not simply the reduction of Fe+3 to Fe+2, but also involves the oxidation of zinc to zinc ions. This could affect the overall potential measured.

Another factor to consider is the presence of a salt bridge or other means of ion transfer between the two half cells. If this is not present, it could lead to a buildup of charge and affect the measured potential.

In summary, there could be several reasons for the unexpected measured potential in this experiment. Further investigation and careful review of the experimental procedure and conditions may help to clarify the results.

1. What is a galvanic cell experiment?

A galvanic cell experiment is an experiment that involves the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of two half-cells, each containing an electrode and an electrolyte solution, connected by a wire and a salt bridge. The chemical reactions that occur at the electrodes produce a flow of electrons, resulting in the generation of electricity.

2. How do I set up a galvanic cell experiment?

To set up a galvanic cell experiment, you will need two different metals, such as zinc and copper, as well as two different electrolyte solutions, such as zinc sulfate and copper sulfate. Place each metal in its own half-cell and fill each half-cell with its respective electrolyte solution. Connect the two half-cells with a wire and a salt bridge, and observe the flow of electrons and the production of electricity.

3. What factors affect the performance of a galvanic cell experiment?

The performance of a galvanic cell experiment can be affected by several factors, including the types of metals and electrolytes used, the surface area of the electrodes, the concentration of the electrolyte solutions, and the temperature. These factors can impact the rate of the chemical reactions and the flow of electrons, ultimately affecting the amount of electricity produced.

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with my galvanic cell experiment?

If your galvanic cell experiment is not performing as expected, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue. First, check that all connections are secure and that the electrolyte solutions are not contaminated or depleted. You can also try adjusting the concentration of the electrolyte solutions or the surface area of the electrodes. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be helpful to consult with a more experienced scientist or conduct further research on the specific type of galvanic cell being used.

5. What are some real-world applications of galvanic cell experiments?

Galvanic cell experiments have many practical uses, including powering batteries, producing electricity in fuel cells, and even generating electricity from renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power. They are also commonly used in electroplating processes, where a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a surface for decorative or functional purposes. Additionally, galvanic cells are essential components in many biological processes, such as nerve and muscle function in the human body.