Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galvanic Cells

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    I had to make a galvanic cell for my chemistry class and it was supposed to have a voltage of 2.3 but for some reason it only was .5. My cell was comprised of a iron and aluminim electrode with the respective nitrates.( potassium nitrate salt bridge) it was wondering if any body knew why it would have such a low voltage. I sanded the electrodes to expose fresh umoxidesed metal.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

What were the concentrations of the Iron and Aluminum Nitrate solutions?

The stamdard reduction potentials of the two metals are measured under standard cell conditions, one of which being a 1 M solution.

Using the nernst equation,
    one could find the theoretical cell potential under non standard cell conditions by knowing the standard reduction potentials, temperature, and concentraiton of the two solutions using in the galvanic cel.
  4. Jun 22, 2006 #3
    they were 1mol concentrations, that page would probably be really helpful if i understood it, the introductary stuf was removed too. Any other sources?
  5. Jun 22, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

There are plenty of other pages descring the nernst equation, just do a search.

If the concentrations were about 1 Molar, you should have been getting pretty close to the standard cell potentials.
    The only other thing I could think of is that perhaps the RedOx reaction which is occurring is not the reaction you are anticipating...something is not getting oxidized/reduced the way you think, perhaps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?