How Do You Calculate the Series Resistance for a Voltmeter Using a Galvanometer?

In summary: If you are using a voltmeter that has a range of 0-30V, you will need to provide a resistor with a value of 10kΩ to bridge the gap between the voltmeter's range and the galvanometer's range.
Myr73
A galvanometer of coil resistance 50 Ω deflects full scale for a current of 3.50mA. What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35.0 V ?

r=50 Ω I=3.50mA=0.0035 V=35.0v R=?

I= V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know- There is very little explanation in the unit -Help me get started please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Myr73 said:
A galvanometer of coil resistance 50 Ω deflects full scale for a current of 3.50mA. What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35.0 V ?

r=50 Ω I=3.50mA=0.0035 V=35.0v R=?

I= V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know- There is very little explanation in the unit -Help me get started please?

I would recommend that you read the wikipedia article on Galvanometers. That should help you form the mental picture that you need to solve this. If you still have problems with this, post the link to the wikipedia article that you read, and ask specific questions about that material.

Likes 1 person
A galvanometer of coil resistance 50 Ω deflects full scale for a current of 3.50mA.

What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35.0 V?

First thing to do is draw and label both circuits.

It's the same galvanometer in both cases. Same deflection required (eg "full scale") so have a think about what else will need to be the same both circuits?

Ok, So this is what I came up with, does it makes sense?
R1= 50 Ω Ig= 3.5mA=0.0035A V=35.5V R=? In series , therefore Ig=Iv=I

V=I/R V=V1+V2=IR1+IR2

V1= 0.0035/50=0.00007 V
{V-V1}/ I=R2= 10143 Ω= 10 k Ω
The voltmeter will consist of a resistance R ser = 10k Ω in series with the galvanometer.

Myr73 said:
Ok, So this is what I came up with, does it makes sense?
R1= 50 Ω Ig= 3.5mA=0.0035A V=35.5V .

No.
Where did 35.5V come from?

1. What is a galvanometer?

A galvanometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small electric currents. It typically consists of a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field, which creates a force on the wire proportional to the current passing through it.

2. How does a galvanometer work?

A galvanometer works by converting the electrical current passing through it into a mechanical deflection, which can then be read on a scale. The magnetic field created by the current interacts with the magnetic field of the galvanometer, causing the coil to rotate and move a pointer on the scale.

3. What is the difference between a galvanometer and an ammeter?

A galvanometer measures small electric currents, while an ammeter measures larger currents. Galvanometers are typically more sensitive and have a narrower range of measurement compared to ammeters.

4. How do I use a galvanometer?

To use a galvanometer, you will first need to connect it to a circuit where you want to measure the current. Then, you will need to adjust the scale and zero the pointer to ensure accurate readings. Once this is done, you can read the deflection on the scale to determine the current passing through the circuit.

5. What are some common uses of a galvanometer?

Galvanometers have various uses, including measuring electrical currents in circuits, detecting magnetic fields, and testing the resistance of materials. They are also frequently used in scientific experiments and in the development of electronic devices.