1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galvanometer homework help

1. Jul 28, 2014 #1
    A galvanometer of coil resistance 50 Ω deflects full scale for a current of 3.50mA. What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35.0 V ?

r=50 Ω I=3.50mA=0.0035 V=35.0v R=?

I= V/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly don't know- There is very little explanation in the unit -Help me get started please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would recommend that you read the wikipedia article on Galvanometers. That should help you form the mental picture that you need to solve this. If you still have problems with this, post the link to the wikipedia article that you read, and ask specific questions about that material.

4. Jul 29, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First thing to do is draw and label both circuits.

It's the same galvanometer in both cases. Same deflection required (eg "full scale") so have a think about what else will need to be the same both circuits?

5. Jul 31, 2014 #4
    Ok, So this is what I came up with, does it makes sense?
    R1= 50 Ω Ig= 3.5mA=0.0035A V=35.5V R=? In series , therefore Ig=Iv=I

V=I/R V=V1+V2=IR1+IR2

V1= 0.0035/50=0.00007 V
    {V-V1}/ I=R2= 10143 Ω= 10 k Ω
    The voltmeter will consist of a resistance R ser = 10k Ω in series with the galvanometer.

6. Aug 2, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.
    Where did 35.5V come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted