1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galvanometer question

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Hi; Could someone please help me with the following question: If the restoring spring of a galvanometer weakens by 26.4% over the years, what current will give full-scale deflection if it originally required 36.8uA? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to make some assumption here about the construction of a galvanometer. I am going to assume you have an ideal case where the angular deflection of the needle is directly proportional to the current because the magnetic field is constructed to achieve that condition, as illustrated here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/galvan.html

You can then write a direct variation equation that says

Deflection angle = kI

The "weakening of the spring" is saying that k is diminished by 26.4%. So what has to happen to I to achieve the former deflection?

4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    Are you saying to do 0.264 x 36.8E-6? Because that doesnt give me the right answer. Thanks.

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. To have the same deflection angle, the product of k times I must not change. If k is reduced by some fraction, the current is going to have to increase. Let k' and I' be the "new" values for the weakened spring and k and I be the "old" values that gave the same deflection. Then

k'I' = kI

A little bit of algebra from here will get you to the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?