What is the Cross Section Formula for Gamma+Gamma Interaction

In summary: But you're right, if you look at the individual particles in the center of mass frame they have different masses so the pA and pB would have different momentum.
DMESONS
Hi guys,

Could someone show me how can I evaluate/measure the cross section of

gamma+gamma --> electron + positron

I'll be thankful for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Alhakami said:
Hi guys,

Could someone show me how can I evaluate/measure the cross section of

gamma+gamma --> electron + positron

I'll be thankful for your help

have you done calculations of cross sections before? Have you done, say, Moller scattering?
This is a long calculation so it's impossible to show you all the steps if you haven't done any calculations. If you have, I can help you get through steps if you are stuck. First, did you draw the Feynman diagrams?

Thanks nrged

I have done the most of calculation. Where I got four terms of Trace {Amplitude}.

As you knew in the C.M. we have a specific formula for differential cross section

Diff. Cross Sect. = {1/{64* Pi^2)*(E1+E2)^2}*{|p3|/|p1|}*|M|^2That is for interaction(in general) A+B--> C+D

My question is about p1 ? Is p1=pA or p1=pB ?

or do you think A and B have the same momentum in C.M. frame"even if they have different masses"?

Thanks for you help

Alhakami said:
Thanks nrged

I have done the most of calculation. Where I got four terms of Trace {Amplitude}.

As you knew in the C.M. we have a specific formula for differential cross section

Diff. Cross Sect. = {1/{64* Pi^2)*(E1+E2)^2}*{|p3|/|p1|}*|M|^2

That is for interaction(in general) A+B--> C+D

My question is about p1 ? Is p1=pA or p1=pB ?

or do you think A and B have the same momentum in C.M. frame"even if they have different masses"?

Thanks for you help

By definition in the center of mass frame the magnitudes of pA and pB are equal. That's the definition. we are talking about three-momentum, here, of course.

1. What is a Gama gamma interaction?

A Gama gamma interaction is a type of interaction that occurs between two gamma ray photons. These photons collide and can either scatter or produce new particles.

2. How does a Gama gamma interaction differ from other types of interactions?

A Gama gamma interaction differs from other types of interactions, such as electron-positron annihilation or proton-proton collision, because it involves two photons colliding rather than particles.

3. What are the potential outcomes of a Gama gamma interaction?

The potential outcomes of a Gama gamma interaction include scattering, where the photons change direction and energy, or pair production, where the collision produces an electron-positron pair.

4. What is the significance of Gama gamma interactions in particle physics?

Gama gamma interactions are significant in particle physics because they can provide information about the properties of photons and can also produce new particles, which can help us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. Can Gama gamma interactions be observed in nature?

Yes, Gama gamma interactions can be observed in nature, such as in high-energy cosmic rays or in astrophysical environments like gamma ray bursts.