Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gambling strategies

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    Hi ya'll im new at the forum and i love gambling and i know gambling goes on luck but if you combine the basic strategy plus your own strategy that is defined by the game and the moment you're playing.
    The game i like most is roulette and im currently playing at <deleted> but winning a combination of numbers has little probabilities cause at the selection process each number has the same quantity of chance of being taken out but even cant be called strategy there's a couple of tips that are commonly used like:
    * Playing the numbers that havent come up lately.
    * Using the same set of numbers over a number of races.
    * Picking sucessives numbers.
    * Tying the numbers to an event.

I hope to be helpful...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    Re: Gambling

There are no strategies. Gambling does not "go on luck". It is purely chance.

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Even with the best strategies, the house always keeps advantage. I play play $5 blackjack with my family a few times a year using basic strategy. I can usually stay in the game for quite a while with as little as $50 buy in. Craziest thing I've ever seen was a guy doubling on 14 and hitting a 7. The dealer nearly had a stroke, lol. Roulette can be a lot of fun with friends. Either betting against each other or with. I had a friend put $5 on one number and she hit it. $150. Crazy.

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

Mark Twain has a short story about a town that wanted to outlaw "games of chance." The pro-gambling faction eventually wins by proving there is no such thing. They pit novices against seasoned card players and the latter won every time.

As soon as a the gambling industry becomes aware of a workable strategy for beating the house, counting cards for example, they forbid its use.

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

Poker is a bit of a different story. There is plenty of strategy involved though ultimately all the strategy does is help you figure out when the numbers are in your favour. And then there is the social engineering.

7. Jan 9, 2010 #6

This is true. There is certainly a difference between playing against other people and playing against a roulette wheel or one-armed bandit.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7

"Every time" is statistically weird with games of chance. I'll give you one prominent example that abides in a sea of an example just like it. A few years ago, a relative amateur (or as amateur as anyone can be in those circles, I suppose -- rather than "amateur" we could use the words "unknown on the circuit") a fellow named Chris Moneymaker came out of nowhere winning a seat in the World Series of Poker by playing in online tournaments and won the entire live tournament. (I'll guess and say that you know what the World Series of Poker is.) Since his appearance on the scene, and the growing popularity of online poker sites, more and more non-pro gamblers are wandering out of the woodwork and knocking seasoned, long-standing pros out of various competitions quite regularly.

Yeah, that's what all poker players say. And while there is a bit of strategy involved, and a few minor choices to be made, the players have no control over the cards they're dealt or the cards anyone else is dealt or -- as in certain games -- what comes down on the flop. And, furthermore, poker gives the illusion of far more control than actually exists, and that's part of the allure and cachet of the game.

However, yes, there is a difference between playing against a machine and playing with other people.

9. Jan 9, 2010 #8
    If you were playing with an ideal roulette wheel, this strategy is no worse than any other. However, with a real roulette wheel it could lead to disaster.

10. Jan 9, 2010 #9
    Best gambling strategy: Play the stock market.

It's pretty much just gambling, but at least its a more than zero-sum game.

11. Jan 9, 2010 #10

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

another strategy is to stick to games where skill really is a factor. I have personal experience of horse racing (I don't gamble, but worked at a track for a few summers) where there quite a bit of skill involved (reading statistics, "reading" horses when they are warming up etc). Most professional gamblers will leave the track with more money when they arrived, probably enough to -on average- earn about an average salary (meaning they don't get rich doing it, it is not a "get rich quick" scheme).

12. Jan 9, 2010 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, this is an easy game because the average amateur bettor is completely inept. And inept pro wannabes go broke and don't stay pro long. The track keeps a portion of the bets, but, other than that, the bettors are competing against each other.

The problem is that being a professional gambler is a little like being a banker. You have to keep a reserve to cover the bad streaks (just like a bank can't put all of its money out on loans when depositers could theoretically decide they all want their money, now). Professional gamblers running too close to risking all they have wind up with a pretty pathetic life. Beating the amateurs might be easy, but managing money seems to be a little more difficult for some (if the amateurs are so easy to bet, it seems like running closer to the margin is the way to move out of that "making a living" level to the "wealthy" level).

The question is: if you had the money to be a professional gambler, couldn't you make more money investing money in something else? Like the stock market, for example? I mean, what are the odds your retirement investments could be wiped out in just one year? (or cut by 33%, anyway, unless you had a particularly risky investment strategy)

A lot of people fail to realize how much "luck" is involved in things seen as purely skill. For example, how much skill is involved in winning NFL games* and how much luck is involved? Surprisingly, the balance is 52.5% luck and 47.5% skill. And by luck, I mean lucky groupings and unlucky groupings. For example, if two teams both get 6 first downs, but those first downs are spead over 6 separate drives, that team is probably going to get shut out, while the team that gets 6 first downs on one drive is probably scoring.

*It's hard to compare the actual skill levels of the players on NFL teams, but most are obviously fairly close when you compare NFL win-loss records to college win-loss records. It would really be more fair to say the difference in skill level is reduced in the NFL, while luck stays constant, resulting in more games being decided by luck than skill.

In horse racing, the professional gambler may be much better than the amateurs, but the difference in the horses' ability isn't incredibly large, so even a skilled professional gambler is going to wind up accumulating some troubling losing streaks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  13. Jan 9, 2010 #12
    Streaks, both winning and losing, when chance is involved, is seeing a pattern where none exists.

14. Feb 25, 2010 #13
    I know is a game of chance and i know the odds are always against the players too, but dont you think you need to help the chance a little bit, it's like when the guy likes some girl there's more posibilities to received a no when he invite the girl to go out but he get some tips from someone with more experience and he go for it but anyways she could say yes or not.... It's a chance but he used the tips and he get more posibilities to get a yes.... That's strategy even for roulette...

15. Feb 25, 2010 #14

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the roulette wheel is ideal, there is no possible strategy for doing better than random guessing on average. If you can cheat...that's another story; however, cheating can get you in a lot of trouble lol.

16. Feb 25, 2010 #15

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Funny thing, how a gambling site spammer can start a serious discussion :rofl:

17. Feb 25, 2010 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I know this thread is old, but...
    It isn't just a matter of playing against people vs a machine - with most games you are playing against the house itself. The machine is the house, but in blackjack, for example, you are also playing directly against the house. And the house has the odds stacked in its favor.

In table poker, you exclusively play against other players and the house just takes its cut of the money flowing through the game (a bit like a stock broker). So in order to profit, you only need to beat the other players by enough to cover the house's cut. And while it is true that on any given flop anyone can get a good hand, over the long term, *skill makes a very big difference. Heck - if it didn't, it wouldn't be possible to have professional poker players.

*And in poker, playing by "the system" is probably enough to get you to make a small profit over the long term, but what differentiates decent poker players from good ones is being able to read the actions of the other players to figure out what cards they have. The skill is reading people, not counting cards or doing math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook